Need Some Advice With My ESA50 Reassessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need Some Advice With My ESA50 Reassessment

crantockgirl3407
crantockgirl3407 Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
Hello everyone, 

I hope you are all doing well and in the best of health and general well-being. I really would like some advice from the Benefits Training Co or any member in this amazing online community who knows very well the ins and outs of the ESA legislative process. I have very severe musculoskeletal problems and I'm frequently in pain because of my musculoskeletal problems.

Also, I suffer from a number of complex mental health problems that are very disabling and destabilising. Two weeks ago, I received a copy of the ESA50 form and I am to be reassessed again for the 6th time for the WCA.  I have always been in the support group of ESA.  At the moment I am in pain and also experiencing mental distress in regard to flashbacks and depersonalisation.

I can't cope with this form at the moment, and because my musculoskeletal pain has not improved at all, I don't think I will be able to fill in this form. I have always tried my level best to fill in the ESA50 form in the past, although this has always been exceedingly difficult and time consuming, but at least I managed to do it. My previously filled ESA50 form was in February 2017 and I received an 18 month prognosis.

My stress levels have gone over the roof, and I don't know what to do in regard to this matter, as in my area the CAB no longer offers this service and they are seriously under funded and most times their office is closed. No other agencies in my local area can help with benefits form filling.

I came across an article written by the CPAG titled Ask CPAG Online -Have you failed to submit an ESA50 Questionnaire?

It is a very good article and I would like to quote from this article the following: " Alternatively, it may be possible to persuade the DWP to decide that you have LCW without an ESA50, where, for example, there is strong evidence that you score 15 points in the work capability assessment, or that there would be a significant risk to your health if you were found not to have LCW. If the DWP has sufficient information to determine that you have LCW, it cannot require you to submit an ESA50."  

In this case, I would be very grateful if Mary, or one of her colleagues at the Benefits Training Co, can kindly advice whether this is possible to do or not, and how to go about this as I really would like to sort out this important matter as soon as possible. The deadline to return this ESA50 form is just in a week's time, and on top of that the form was received late, almost 10 days from the date it was written by the DWP?

Your kind help and or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to everyone in this scope online community for all your kind help and support. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

What you're talking about here is reg 35 special circumstances and is direct route into the Support Group. However, the ESA50 form needs to be returned no later than the date stated in the letter. If the form isn't returned then it's highly possible that you'll be found fit for work for failing to return the form. If DWP have on file that you suffer from mental health then there is some relaxed rules and they will allow extra time to return the form BUT it absolutely needs to be returned along with all of your evidence. More about reg 35 here in this link.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • crantockgirl3407
    crantockgirl3407 Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    Hi @poppy123456, A massive thank you to you for replying to my post and providing such an excellent information. I greatly appreciate your kindness and support and this information will certainly be put to good use. Many thanks again.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hello crantockgirl3407

There are certain groups that are treated as (in effect) unable to work without having to complete the ESA50 form.  This includes people for example those who would be at substantial risk to their mental or physical health if they were found fit for work.  This is the ‘exceptional rule’ as detailed by Poppy123456. The problem is, if you went down this route you would have to be some written detail of what this substantial risk is, and if possible evidence e.g. from a psychiatrist.  This means whichever way you turn you end up having to correspond with ESA. As such it may be best to complete the form, this avoids any potential problems with ESA stopping as the form has not been completed and returned.

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.