Severe Disability form just arrived?? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe Disability form just arrived??

Options
synergy2120
synergy2120 Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
Hi, I will keep this brief...
I have been my husbands carer for the past 10 years - he is still on DLA as not been switched over to PIP yet....
My health has deteriorated over the years and i have now been awarded a small amount of PIP (am going through the process of appealing this)....
Im just a bit confused as today i had a form sent through from the DWP called Extra Amount for Severe Disability Premium....there is no letter attached explaining anything but they have filled in my husband details on the front...
I cannot remember if my husband gets the extra money so am not sure if this form is here because they want to take money away/ give more money or what? Its obviously been sent because ive now been awarded PIP but im very confused as to what it means? Any help will be great x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,265 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

SDP is awarded to those that claim daily living PIP or mid/high rate care DLA. Live alone, or classed as living alone and no one claim Carers allowance for looking after you. As you live with your husband you will also qualify if both of you claim either PIP daily living or mid/high rate care DLA.

They aren't taking money away from you but assessing you to see if you're eligible for more money. Couples SDP rate is an extra £128 per week on top of your existing ESA but will depend on circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • synergy2120
    synergy2120 Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    Options
    oh wow! Some good news for a change! I always get nervous with new forms as it seems they are constantly taking away money from us! Thanks x
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    Is the server payment only with esa or can it be claimed on pip etc
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,265 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's paid on top of Income Related ESA/JSA and Income Support, if you have a daily living award of PIP or mid/high rate care DLA. If you live alone and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.