Has anyone had problems with private rented sector? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone had problems with private rented sector?

Igiveup
Igiveup Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello how is everyone? ..x
Has anyone had problems with private rented sector?  I am finding it difficult because all I get is we don't take housing benefit sorry..

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yes absolutely and you'll find it's the same across most of the country. Years ago local councils used to keeps lists of landlords that accepted housing benefit but now because less and less are accepting them even those lists are rare.

If you do get lucky enough to find a landlord then you'll be faced with needing a guarantor most likely and that's extremely difficult for most people.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Igiveup, and a warm welcome to the community!

So sorry to hear about your troubles with housing, it must be really frustrating to be repeatedly turned away. If you don't manage to find something soon, it may be worth getting in touch with the housing charity Shelter, to see if they can offer any support. Here are their helpline details.

Please do keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on!
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Re-word that!  'Has anybody N O T had......'
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Remember the Bournemouth Bus Shelter story in national news, a few years back, on the couple in their nineties, he a wheelchair user? Their longstanding private landlord gave them 2 months notice, so he could sell.

No new private landlord would consider them for a moment,  of course.  They asked the council for help, but were told, correctly, that their 'sin' (the mistake of still having some remaining life  savings, beyond the small amount deemed permissible)  allowed the  council a legal loophole to dodge statutory duty to assist vulnerable and at-risk homeless, elderly, disabled people.   Councils can, and do,  refuse to classify such people as 'Homeless', even though they had no roof over their heads and absolutely no chance of getting one.   So, they were living in the bus shelter, where a local journalist noticed them.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    newborn said:
    Re-word that!  'Has anybody N O T had......'
    I currently rent my home from a private landlord and didn't have any problems finding one at all. Like i said it does depend on the area you live. Some areas are like gold dust and you won't find a LL that will rent to those claiming benefits.

There's a few areas most likely in some parts of Wales and far up North you maybe lucky to find a few. Those that do accept may well want a guarantor.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Igiveup
    Igiveup Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Well I got a small studio with stairs I shall have to crawl up as I am in pain with my back and ankle constant and walk with a stick.. I have paid 6 months up front a loan from family and I have to now find this every 6 months... 
    Many thanks for your help x
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hello Igiveup, I do believe it’s affecting all areas of Britain, after watching various programs the comman denominator seems to be the benefit cap. Yes admittedly certain areas of Britain tend to be cheaper than others but each area as it’s own problems. It’s very difficult meeting bills, but I hope you be as happy as best you can be. ???

Brightness