ESA Cancelled. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Cancelled.

Options
redrobins
redrobins Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi,

I suffer with anxiety, intrusive thoughts, depression and really struggle when it comes to meeting people I don't know. I even struggle with my family due to the paranoia associated with my intrusive thoughts.

They've stopped my benefit and won't pay during a mandatory reconsideration so I have no choice but to apply for universal credit. I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment and worried about what this means as I really struggle with the work focused interviews and it's going to push me over the edge.

I'm pretty sure I would pass the mandatory reconsideration as I did 5 years ago when I had my last one as I'm better at explaining the affects my mental health condition have on me in writing as I'm not very great at explaining verbally.

I'm genuinely annoyed that I couldn't be honest at the interview, I have a real issue with others perception of me that I understated the affects of my condition at fear of being judged. 

What would you suggest doing? This is really overwhelming and I don't have any support.

Thanks.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,072 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

If you apply for Universal Credit then you won't be able to go back onto ESA. ESA is never paid while waiting for the MR but if you haven't already applied for UC and can possibly wait for the MR decision then this is the better option. There's at least a 5 week wait for first UC payment also and within this time you could have the decision back for the ESA, even though only 17% of MR decisions change, there's still a chance it could change.

Any premiums you were claiming on ESA are not paid on UC and claiming UC with a fit/sick doens't automatically excuse you from the UC claimant agreement, it's most likely that you'll still have to attend the JC and don't some job searches etc, it really depends on the work coaches discretion. If you do have to do work searches or attend appointments and you don't do what you should then you'll be sanctioned. UC is very unfair to those with disabilities. If you can hold out i would certainly advise you do this.

If the MR decision doesn't change then you can go back onto assessment rate of ESA once the Tribunal accept your appeal but if you've claimed UC you can't do this. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • redrobins
    redrobins Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks Poppy, that's explained everything I needed to know. Appreciate your time.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.