ESA APPEAL AND HOUSING BENEFIT — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA APPEAL AND HOUSING BENEFIT

minimini1
minimini1 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
HI i am going to appeal my ESA however what happens to my HOUSING BENEFIT and council tax benefit... the apoeal could take months how do i pay my rent... i am told HB would be backdated if win appeal BUT A. will i have lost my flat by then B. If i fail my apoeal do i end up with a DEBT for all the housing benefit on hold. There seems no info on this all my local help charities and cizten advice are closed or ran by DWP ... i m having a nitemare as i just dont see how i would nanage to pay my rent and am terrified i will be homeless with perhaps evenna massive debt... i am at a total loss and now cant rake strain from this starting point ...help please anyone 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Firstly, please try not to panic.  What stage are you at with your ESA, is it Mandatory Reconsideration or Tribunal?

If the MR decision remains the same and most do then you can claim assessment rate for ESA once the Tribunal have accepted your appeal but you'll need sick notes from your GP to claim it, providing you're not appealing a decision to find you fit for work for failing to attend an assessment.

For your housing benefit while you wait for the Tribunal to accept your appeal You need to contact your local council and ask to fill out a nil income form, this will allow you to continue to claim housing benefit while you wait. The same for council tax reduction.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • minimini1
    Ok so far im at the start of all this its so far been horrendous im totally scared if the worst happened and i fail tribunal would i owe that housing benefit ? As you can tell im having a pretty bad time but thankyou fir your replies i just cant get simple answers and help thankyou so much
  • poppy123456
    No, you wouldn’t owe any money to your local council if you lost the Tribunal. Please contact your local council tomorrow morning and ask for the nil income form. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @minimini1, and thank you for sharing this with us. Glad to see you've had some guidance- do contact your local council and let us know how you get on. If you need any further assistance, just let us know.
  • minimini1
    Thankyou so much the most help i have had si far !
  • poppy123456
    minimini1 said:
    Thankyou so much the most help i have had si far !
    You're very welcome. Please don't hesitate to come back if there's anything else we can help with and i'm sure someone will help you all they can!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.