I'd like to find work with degenerative disc disease — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'd like to find work with degenerative disc disease

Options
Steviegee
Steviegee Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited November 2018 in Work and employment
I was a class 1 lorry Driver for 20 or more years and now have a degenerative disease in my spine and have had several operations I had my first child at 49 years young I would like to go back to work to support my daughter although ime limited to the type of work I can do now on a lorry I can still drive them as good as always but can't climb round the trailer the same as I used to but would be willing to train on ie gas tanks for example or other  suggestions include want my little girl to have nice things and holidays just like any other child is there anybody out there who can help me .....nice to talk to the group for the first time anyway ...... hope to here from you soon ....... steve

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Steviegee, and a warm welcome to the community! Great to have you here.

Hopefully one of our employment advisors will be in touch soon to offer some guidance.
  • Zaid_Alumni
    Zaid_Alumni Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @Steviegee you might want to give us a call at Support to Work: 0300 222 5742 to have a chat about your employment options with one of our team. It sounds like you should still be able to work as a driver, maybe with a driver's mate? Do you have HGV or 3.5 ton tickets? If you are interested, there is info about Scope's Support to Work service here: www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork 

Zaid
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

• Steviegee
    Steviegee Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Hi yes I have a class 1 licsense I am worried about going back to work and loosing my disability bennefits all together and as I am getting older i know it will get worse as it's degenerative then not being able to get the bennefits back do you know how I stand on this 
  • Zaid_Alumni
    Zaid_Alumni Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @Steviegee I would recommend you call Scope's helpline to talk this through on 0808 800 3333. Those guys are the experts on disability benefits. You could also call us at Support to Work: 0300 222 5742 and arrange to speak to our employment & benefits lead. Either option will give you the info you need to make your decision. I hope this helps. 

Zaid
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness