pips decline — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pips decline

gill2018
gill2018 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
I have heard that it is possible to still claim DLA under some circumstances even if you have been turned down for PIP and awaiting the results of an appeal. Does anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    This is not possible unless the person is under the age of 16. DLA no longer exists for people between the ages of 16 - 64.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • gill2018
    This says if you are over 65 you cannot claim pips. Why have I been taken off DLA then and asked to apply for pips? I am over 65.
  • poppy123456
    Those that were 65 or over on 8th April 2013 won't be transferred to DLA. If you weren't that age on that date you will be asked to transfer. You can no longer make a new claim for DLA.
  • poppy123456
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Poppy is correct. The cut off date for staying on DLA is as she has reported. If you became 65 on the 9th April 2013 then it's PIP for you.

The major issue I found with this is that as you get older you find it more difficult to cope with the PIP regime of continually being re-assessed and fighting every decision that the DWP make. My situation was that I was 65 a few weeks after the cut off date and since 2013 I have had 3 face to face re-assessments each one telling me that I scored 0 points. For the first two I fought to get the decision changed at MR stage to enhanced care & mobility.
    The thought of continually being told that I have to be re-assessed every other year was too much and was becoming unable to fight anymore - fancy having to fight at age 90!! I am 70 at the moment - 71 next year. I gave up after the third decision. 
  • gill2018
    This is so true, and any conditions you have are not going to get better as you get older. They dont seem to realise this. If I can hardly walk now, its not going to improve next year or the year after or whenever!
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    gill2018 said:
    This is so true, and any conditions you have are not going to get better as you get older. They dont seem to realise this. If I can hardly walk now, its not going to improve next year or the year after or whenever!
    Ironically I used to get DLA high mobility & care up until 2013. Now that generally means that from 1995 to 2013 I would have had difficulty walking for more than 50 metres.
    Given that the physical reason for not being able to walk has not changed for the better since 1995 AND that in 2011 I had an assessment at the spinal unit on their walking machine and fell off after 10/15 metres, I for the life of me cannot understand how the PIP assessments (all 3 of them) said that I can walk more than 200 metres with no difficulty. It's beyond me. 
  • gill2018
    They are a law unto themselves Im afraid. They write what the bosses want to hear, not the truth !!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.