Pip Assessment 1-2-1 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip Assessment 1-2-1

boboc
boboc Community member Posts: 9 Listener
when i had my pip assessment it was done by a Alzheimer's nurse, ( looked his name up on google ) what do they know about  health issues, no wonder i`m going to appeal , when i was on DLA ,i saw a doctor, now we got monkeys doing there jobs 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Reading your post you give the impression that you may be moving from DLA to PIP. If that is the case then you will be aware from filling in your application form that the two benefits are totally different from each other. DLA is was about your disability and PIP is about your abilities to cope manage daily life activities and mobility issues you may or do have. A Doctor may have accessed you for DLA where a diagnosis was required but PIP does not require this and a person who is medical trained and can observe your abilities, demure,and your metal state can and do make acessment reports sent to the decision maker who awards your benefits. When you, we and I have an acessment it’s a snap shot of what the acessor see and can be verified by the answers we submit in our forms and give to questions asked by the acessor at the acessment. So in general conversation, chit chat before, during and after the acessment you, we and I are giving , letting the acessor know answers to questions they may not or will asked during your, our acessments with out even realising what we have said may and can be used against us as far as point scoring. For armed is forwarned.
  • boboc
    Your right  i am going from DLA to pip, but its a snap shot on that day but with a hidden agenda , with no medical knowledge, no understanding of  disabilty`s, and he tried  to put words in my mouth, my assessor did not have time to read all my paperwork as he was running late, so beware, listen to what they say as they type your answers in .

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,921 Disability Gamechanger
    A HCP does not have to have knowledge in any condition. This is because all conditions affect people differently and no 2 people are the same. Evidence should be sent when you return the form, if it's taken with you on the day of the assessment then they could refuse to accept if off you, as has happened many times to others.

Being on DLA doesn't automatically entitle anyone to PIP. PIP is about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the descriptors. Some that transfer from DLA will find that they're not entitled to PIP because the descriptors don't apply to them. The same with some that aren't transferring from DLA. If you don't meat the descriptors, there's no points award and therefore no award given.

Having some understanding what the descriptors mean helps. Having a disability doesn't mean you'll qualify for PIP and i'm not talking about yourself specifically, i mean people in general.

Good luck with your claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • boboc
    Hmmm  so if your on DLA  its  doesn't mean your entitled to P.I.P.  what happens to the people who have disability?, that don`t tick boxes no help with living needs  sounds like a Tory ploy. 
    the ideal of D.B is too help out people with disability, not tick boxes, so a assessor without  medical knowledge is a  negative , or the way its planned 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,921 Disability Gamechanger
    DLA and PIP are completely different and being on DLA doesn't mean you'll qualify for PIP. Having a disability also doesn't mean you'll qualify for PIP. If those descriptors don't apply to you then you won't score any points because PIP is about the descriptors and they won't apply to everyone that applies.

You have to prove those descriptors apply to you with evidence. The onus is on you to prove you're entitled to it and not their job to prove you qualify.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    DLA and PIP are completely different and being on DLA doesn't mean you'll qualify for PIP. Having a disability also doesn't mean you'll qualify for PIP. If those descriptors don't apply to you then you won't score any points because PIP is about the descriptors and they won't apply to everyone that applies.

You have to prove those descriptors apply to you with evidence. The onus is on you to prove you're entitled to it and not their job to prove you qualify.
    Not entirely. If you were in receipt of DLA High Mobility you would expect at the very least to get 8 points in the moving around section, or maybe 10 points if they had to use an aid.

What we are finding however is that some are getting at best 4 points for being able to walk more than 50 metres up to 200 metres and others getting no points as they are deemed to be able to walk beyond 200 metres.
    None of that makes any sense - distance is distance whether it is with PIP or DLA.

I was assessed twice for my DLA with the last one being in 2011 (2 years before I had my PIP assessment) and each time the DWP accepted that I could not walk more than 50 metres, yet the 3 PIP original decisions and the 3 assessor reports put my mobility down to being able to walk more than 200 metres!
  • Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    I was awarded 10 points for the Mobility section of PIP. I appealed on the grounds that (a) I could not walk more than 20 metres. (b) Even if I could walk in excess, of 20 metres the effect upon my physical condition was deleterious to my health. I invoked Upper Tribunal Judge Parker's ruling. 'The physical effects of undertaking action must be taken into consideration, further, consideration must be made in respect of how soon could the action be repeated, after the first time". Fundamentally, it means that if you are breathless, blood pressure is up and you are in pain, then the effect of walking is deleterious to your health. If you are appealing, try and refer to the above. Again, Google, Upper Tribunal Judge Parker, and use the exact ruling. 10 minutes into my hearing, I was awarded 12 points. Good Luck.

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to!
  • boboc
  • lynnoseman
    lynnoseman Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    boboc said:
    Your right  i am going from DLA to pip, but its a snap shot on that day but with a hidden agenda , with no medical knowledge, no understanding of  disabilty`s, and he tried  to put words in my mouth, my assessor did not have time to read all my paperwork as he was running late, so beware, listen to what they say as they type your answers in .

I agree, my son had his about 7 weeks ago, he was very nervous, she kept asking him the same questions in a different manner, he is also deaf so i had to repeat some of them as she did not speak up and he lipreads. This also went against him as she said he had good eye contact and at one point smiled!! he was figgiting and asking when it would be over, she was very abrupt whenever I tried to explain something to her, she didn't really listen. now we have the decision and the refusal of pip know that what she put was not what was said in t he meeting..
  • boboc
    Sorry to hear about your son, all i can say is appeal, don`t let them get away with it, good luck 
  • lynnoseman
    lynnoseman Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Thanks much appreciated x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.