Debt problems because of UC — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Debt problems because of UC

Krunch1963
Krunch1963 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all. Im not disabled but was on esa the went onto u, c in 2016 since then life as been a nightmare. First of all problems with rent payments due to being paid in arrears by 6 weeks. So council applied for deductions to be taken off my benefits to cover this at £68 per month even though when payments made by uc brought me to 0.00 arrears. 
Then i have to do 35hrs per wk job search = 7hrs a day they wouldnt take into account the unpaid work i did for charity, one day = 8hrs. And being sent to reeds recruitment to the job club there, so i couldnt manage to go to council tax job club so they stopped my council tax rebate leaving me with £1000 bill passed on to debt collection agency who are threatening me with removal of goods, and being sanctioned for missing appointment i did not receive money stopped out of benefits immediatley, took 3 months for them to admit fault. And pay it back. 
   If anyone wants me to post evidence of any of this i will gladly do so, So beware of u/c 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Krunch1963   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing. Sorry what has happened.

You mention your not disabled.. Look on our forum the range of disabilities and illness are a vast spectrum.  Something for you to consider. Disability and illness can cover a vast area.

I am a member of the community champions team here on this site. Guide and support new members. Whether they have disabilities or illness. Or their families and children.  

We as a community embrace every one who has problems and issues with every day aspects of life.  Especially benefits and the problems that ensued.

I am sure there will be members of our community who can identify what you are going through.

They might get in touch.  Please can I suggest have you considered speaking to CAB about any problems you have with Universal Credit.

They have a wealth of knowledge and expertise.

We are a friendly, supportive community. Care and share.

Lots of advice, information and support.

Please ask if we can advise on anything some one will know.

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Krunch1963 welcome to the community!

I am sorry to hear what has happened, as @thespiceman said, I am sure there are many members within the community who are in or have been in a similar position as yourself.

Do let us know if we can be of any assistance! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

What was the reasons for your Universal credit claim in 2016 as you were claiming ESA i see. Were you found fit for work or was it a change of circumstances?

Council tax job club? Can you explain what this is please as i've never heard of it. Council tax reduction isn't part of UC, never has been and you need to claim for it separately from your local council.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.