PIP descriptor - Managing Treatments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP descriptor - Managing Treatments

Trev121
Trev121 Community member Posts: 32 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello,
 I have a PIP query, if someone can answer it, please.

I have Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, which is the progressive lung disease that causes breathing problems and limits my daily functions, mobility, etc. 

I need to do Pulmonary Rehabilitation exercises, but there are no classes in my area. COPD sufferers go to these for supervision, prompting or assistance to do these exercises. as they are tiring and cause further breathlessness, etc

My doctor has stated in a support letter that I have been advised to do regular home-based therapeutic exercises (of up to 3.5 hours weekly), as part of my Pulmonary Rehabilitation program to try to help my degree of breathlessness and to limit the progression of my COPD

I have already stated that I find the exercises difficult to do as they cause me further breathlessness and discomfort, and I am put off from doing them. So I am not motivated to do them at home unless I receive prompting, encouragement, etc

However, a PIP assessor has stated that I am able to undertake daily exercises at home, so has given me 0 points for Managing Treatments - despite me stating the above.

Now, am I correct that these home-based therapeutic exercises count as being part of the need to manage therapy descriptor, as below, and the reasons I have given above show I need prompting to do them?  - which should be worth 2 points? 

Q5. Managing Treatments

c. Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage therapy that takes no more
than 3.5 hours a week

regards

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

Have you attended a formal pulmonary rehabilitation programme, for your COPD?

As you are taught these exercises, as you have stated, COPD is very much about self managing your condition.

Have you got someone at home to prompt and support you?

It sounds like the assessor has no clue about your condition and what you have to do.

My wife has COPD, she has to go through her exercises on a daily basis and I assist and support her.
  • Trev121
    Hi,
    thanks for your reply, and you've hit the nail on the head - the assessor didn't seem to have a clue, either about anything. Her report was also a grammatical and factual shambles. She repeats herself over and over again, as well.

I used to attend PR classes when first diagnosed in another town. And most folks there struggled with the exercises, including me. So we all indeed needed the prompting, supervision,support, etc. that was on offer there, otherwise no one would have exercised much at all.

When I moved to my current town, my current doctor stated there are no PR classes here, hence the reason why he advised me to do the exercises at home.  My lung function is also now low, and I genuinely tried but found the exercises caused me further breathless, fatigue and discomfort, so do not feel like doing them, now - which I need to.

A relative has said she will prompt me by phone whenever I need to do them.

So this should score me the 2 points for the need to manage therapy, shouldn't it?

regards
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Trev121

Try this for size.

This is from the PIP guide for assessment providers.

"2.1.18
    The assessment does not look at the availability of help from another person, but rather the underlying need.

As such claimants may be awarded discriptors for needing help even if it not currently available to them.

For example, if they currently manage in a way that is unreliable, but with some help they could complete the activity reliably."

So you'r relative's phone prompts are covered.

In an ideal world having someone at your side, would be great.

Alas we live in the real world.

Hope this helps.
  • Trev121
    Hi atlas46,
    Yes, that is most helpful - many thanks.
    It sounds like I have a case, so I am going to follow through and appeal. 
    regards

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,376 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm assuming those 2 extra points will make a difference to your award? I'm just checking before you go ahead with either the MR (which is the first stage in the process) DWP will look at the whole award again and not just part of it. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Trev121
    point taken, thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,376 Disability Gamechanger
    Indeed, absolutely no point in asking for the MR if it will make no difference.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.