"From mammograms to nappies: disabled women's healthcare is a national disgrace" — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

"From mammograms to nappies: disabled women's healthcare is a national disgrace"

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2018 in Research and opportunities
This article in the Guardian about access to healthcare as a disabled woman is interesting, they say:

"Disabled women are routinely excluded from basic healthcare – from autism diagnosis to smear tests to contraception. The fight for better conditions needs to become central to the feminist movement"

What do you think? Have you had limited access to healthcare because of your impairment?
Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• victoriafinney
    victoriafinney Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Yes I have. So has my daughter. The issues for us are mostly around getting prescriptions and appointments. My daughter was just made to wait a full week for painkillers. She is only 15.
    I am having issues with my surgery getting them to action referrals (they get the letters but do absolutely nothing with them) and also getting appointments for smears and so on.
    On a more general note. As this affects men and women.
    My GP surgery is NOT wheelchair accessible!!!! UNBELIEVABLE though it may seem!

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.