PIP decision in. And breathe....X — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP decision in. And breathe....X

Mumof2ds
Mumof2ds Community member Posts: 147 Pioneering
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi Everyone. 

@MsAnxious, updating you too, as noticed you asked yesterday. I hope things are looking a bit brighter for you this week. XX 

Anyhow I rang DWP to make sure my new evidence had got there ( sent tracked,as original paperwork - they still lost the assessment in their offices for 22 days?, Also tracked so they couldntc deny it had arrived as signed for!) 

Moral of that story - damn the expense and send anything official back tracked as it proved it had been received!) Even though they supply prepaid envelope. 

Anyhow awarded PIP standard rate,   10 points, for my Menieres Disease and day to day living, hearing losses, hearing aids etc. 

I am absoloutely grateful for anything!

I was just 2 points off higher rate, but don't think I should drag up an MR, case just relieved I have been awarded something, after all the horrendous stories on here. 

The assessor noted I was on standard medication for my depression and anxiety
( 40 mg a day) although I was on 20 mg for a few months, the doctor upped it to 40 mg,  in July as not coping since last year when she put me on 20 mg last October, before I had CBT and Counselling 2017 / 2018. Continuing that and scraping money together privately for weekly sessions) I receive no other benefits, never have. As I have a husband who works hard to support our children and myself. 

She noted my  mental health clearly was manageable, as I looked well kempt, had clean fingernails? And made eye  contact and spoke to the assessor, and built up rapport?

My thoughts  on that are: 
I was brought up to be polite to people, and treat others how I wish to be treated. That comment **** me off as I kind of want to write in and say this illnesses ( Menieres Disease) and my mental health have changed me so much as a person, these last 21  months, BUT I still have basic hygiene, politeness to others, and a scrap of pride left,   and try and look after myself on the days I feel well enough to do it, when ImI not stuck in bed, but only go out for essential journeys. 

Apparently I could plan journeys alone, and go out so scored 4 points on mobility,              ( family  members prepare journeys if I have to travel , pay for cabs, but rarely go out unless necessary, as I had many drop attacks and the falls have knocked my confidence, nothing awarded at this time, for mobility, even though my slow pace and balance issues, and weak R side gait was noted due to Menieres Disease, and using an aid to walk with, hearing and balance issues. 

Anyhow honestly just grateful it's over, and awarded until 2021. Review will be up to a year before this. I have not been able to work since February 2017, but anything towards daily living expenses are better than none. I feel. 

I wanted to thank everyone for your help, support and advice along the way since June / July, and I wish everyone well for fighting their corners! 

Part of me wants to fight for the mental health points and do MR, as mental health isn't always visible, we hide it well and suffer silently daily.  They noted I scratch my arms through anxiety and scarring shown. 

I gather I have a month from award date to apply for MR, but don't  want to loose what I have have given, as the assessor was polite and friendly, but the decision maker I think took my new evidence and diagnosis letter  into extra consideration after the assessment. As I received that afterwards, so submitted seperately recently, After I phoned them and explained. The Assessor knew the diagnosis would arrive after the F2F. 

Apparently I didn't look tired at all, ( I am exhausted all the time!) But as my skin had a good pallor, and tone, so that makes me awake? But surely the deep bags and shadows under my eyes, and reports of constant tinnitus from my hearing loss therapist, which in turn caused part of  my mental health issues, and keep me  awake at night had no relevance, but mental health noted with Menieres Disease.  

The report also said I  wasn't under  a mental health team? although my evidence from three teams said I have been having counselling since July and must continue my weekly sessions with Physio and therapist and antidepressants for depression and anxiety as well as my menieres Disease symptoms and meds. 

Actually writing it out, even with my ramble, makes me want to do a MR. What do I have to do for that, should I decide to? Write the points I disagree with, to the address the decision letter came from? I know I dontd have long to send that in? 

I am honestly so grateful I have been awarded anything, never claimed for anything in my life before ( I am 50)  my hearing therapist,  who supplied me with hearing aids, and daytime tinnitus maskers first suggested it,  Physiotherapy, Counsellor and ENT and Neurologist teams advised me to apply too!  

Unsure what to do, but so tired with it all, don't think I want to rock the boat and loose what I have been given. 

Your thoughts? 

Thanks everyone. 
XX 
Politeness costs nothing, but goes a long way in life. 
 Always look out for each other. Be kind. 
 Hugs and smiles mean the world. XX 

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    The assessor noted I was on standard medication for my depression and anxiety
    ( 40 mg a day) although I was on 20 mg for a few months, the doctor upped it to 40 mg,  in July as not coping since last year when she put me on 20 mg last October

I don't know what medication it is that you are on, but if similar to mine, the assessor reported that it and the dosage was low.
    I take 200mg Sertraline daily.

Given that they all (3) stated that I do not have any mental health impairment and justified that by 14 one liners - I don't rock, I have good eye contact, I don't dribble, I know what day of the week it is etc etc .
  • Mumof2ds
    Hi @Yadnad

Serc 32 mg X 3 times a day for Menieres Disease (6 tablets) and 40 mg Flouxitine daily (2 X 20 mg tablets) 
    Included are weekly physiotherapy ssessions and weekly physcotherapy counselling sessions. 

Fluoxetine, also known by trade names Prozac and Sarafem, among others, is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor class. It is used for the treatment of major depressive disorder, obsessive–compulsive disorder, bulimia nervosa, panic disorder and premenstrual dysphoric disorder

As far as rocking and dribbling? Really? The rules on mental health must of been written way back! Everyone copes differently day to day with  our mental health issues, some cope better alone, some cope better in the company of others. How we can be shoved into visual boxes, as to how we should appear for "their mental health"  descriptors....

Anyhow thank you for all the pointers and support along the way. X 
    P X 

• Yadnad
    Mumof2ds said:
    As far as rocking and dribbling? Really? The rules on mental health must of been written way back! 
    I wish I could remember all 14 one liners that the assessors came up with that justified their reason for reporting that I do not have any mental health difficulties.
    'Was seen not to be rocking in the chair, was not dribbling, had good eye contact, was aware of the medication that I take', were just a few that I can remember.

Try turning those over - I should have rocked but didn't, I should have made sure that saliva was dribbling out of my mouth but it wasn't, should have avoided all eye contact and rested on the report from the memory clinic that I have issues with my memory.
  • Mumof2ds
    edited November 2018
    That's appalling @Yadnad.!!
    That's the comments that made me question the assessor, will get my report out tomorrow and jot down what the assessor noted in the report with  regard to my mental health, apart from eye contact, clean fingernails and well kempt. ( I only had jeans and a t-shirt on! Slip on sandals,  No make up, and I ruffled my fingers through my hair as it's short, hardly well kempt. ?? but yes I made eye contact too! 

Shame on us for having some level of self care, most of the week I am in bed, or on the sofa, due to exhaustion, and / near the toilet with nausea from my vertigo. 

I did explain friends come to visit me, as and I rarely go out, only if I have to go, re hospital appointments, physio, counsellor, and  my husband and 13 year old son look after me on bad days, around my husband long work days and four hour commute on top,  and as our elder son is now at University. 

Anyhow, it doesntd matter now, as IveI decided to just be very grateful for what's been awarded, and will wait and see how everything is at Review, further down the line for my mobility etc. 

It is just astounding really in 2018, how mental health is assessed and judged. I did mention all this to my mental health counselor this week. 

She said at least the government does actually take mental health into consideration now, it can only get better in time, as awareness is raised.  I just don't  have the physical or mental fight to go to appeal, and believe me I am a  fighter through and through, well I was! but this Menieres Disease and my mental health llnesses, have dragged me down, but I guess that is what they want you to do.

I have standard rate for one , to help with daily living PIP  so happy with that. I do not  want to loose too, after being awarded something.

By the next review I will have even more descriptors to link too, as my symptoms are progressive, so how everything affects me further down the line, will only deteriorate sadly. Day at a time. 

Good luck everyone with your F2F, appeals and hang in there @Yadnad XX  

• Yadnad
    edited November 2018
    Mumof2ds said:
    She said at least the government does actually take mental health into consideration now, it can only get better in time, as awareness is raised.  
    I must have blinked and missed it!
    Do they? I saw the GP recently and he now wants me to go back into counselling. Oh Yeah I said.
    He gave me four telephone numbers to ring, one of which was MIND. All four gave a similar answer - sorry but we are all booked up at the present. Maybe try next year.

They might be saying that they want to take it into consideration but where is the help from the NHS?

Still, not my problem really - just a statistic. If I hurt someone or myself then I have a ready made excuse.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Hi @Mumof2ds I hear that. I got 0 points a year ago, which was changed to 19 points at tribunal 2 weeks ago. I'm really happy, except that they clearly made a mistake with managing therapy, and that would have given me the extra point I needed for enhanced daily living. Higher Tribunal? Eh...
  • Mumof2ds
    Hi @Waylay

Wow 0-19 points, that's brilliant! 

I am  sorry they didntd award you your entitlement to therapy either. 

@Yadnad, I have had counselling and CBT to help me cope in the past via Think Action Mental Health Charity, but you only get 4 X CBT sessions and 6 X Counselling, I self referred twice sepeeasepefor these. 

Brilliant service, but yes sadly a long waiting list, so now ImI having weekly therapy via the same counselling lady, but privately, as didn't want to stop, after six weeks. 

I had to wait a month, then we started sessions weekly. Can't afford the sessions, but hey, just sontd want to go down in that black hole again, so weekly sessions, give me some strength to get through this mess. XX 

P X 
  • Mumof2ds
    Excuse typos, I clearly have sausage fingers, and small keyboard on phone! And auto correct!
    Note to self : check before uploading replies. Sorry! ?
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Yadnad said:
    Mumof2ds said:
    She said at least the government does actually take mental health into consideration now, it can only get better in time, as awareness is raised.  
    I must have blinked and missed it!
    Do they? I saw the GP recently and he now wants me to go back into counselling. Oh Yeah I said.
    He gave me four telephone numbers to ring, one of which was MIND. All four gave a similar answer - sorry but we are all booked up at the present. Maybe try next year.

They might be saying that they want to take it into consideration but where is the help from the NHS?

Still, not my problem really - just a statistic. If I hurt someone or myself then I have a ready made excuse.
    My g p did that to me saying I would be quicker getting help by self referral than NHS however I was lucky to get some with a month or so. However they have budget restrictions same advice NHS and it’s very frustrating to keep self referring but worth it. Also my g p should still have referred me as yours should have to the adult mental health team which will have a long waiting list like everywhere else. It took me 2 years to work up the guts to ask no demand an NHS referral and a few months to get an appointment. It’s a case of belts and braces . Good luck. 
  • Mumof2ds
    Hi @debbiedo49

Thanks for this, I've been under two different doctors for my Menieres Disease and mental health issues, and four ENT's and a Neurology team. The Menieres side of things is being dealt with finally after 20 months of fighting for a diagnosis. And a ongoing management plan, reviewed every three months as disease progresses. 

I have fantastic physio, hearing loss therapist , ENT and Neuro teams, but my mental health has suffered greatly along the way, and so I self referred to Kent based Think Action mental health charity, who I have to say have been absolutely brilliant.

I waited 2 months for my CBT, in December 2017,  then 4 months for Counselling, as I self referred again by March 2018. 

I am on 40 mg of Flouxitine daily for anxiety and depression, which was upped from 20 mg, by a second doctor at my surgery. 

I wanted to carry on with my therapist, as it is helping weekly, she is  now  working privately, and  left Think Action, as so many restrictions,  so even though I am  back on waiting list to be assessed, with them,  I have asked to go on the waiting list for the weekly support group course they run, weekly group meets, rather than one to one as I want to continue with the same therapist for now.

PIP standard rate will go towards that, now I have been awarded,  that daily living, so that is a huge relief,   which has taken the  pressure off my husband trying to find an extra £35 per week for counsellor therapy.  

I will continue as long as we can find the money, but I am not working and claim no other benefits, as my husband works. PIP is all new to me. X 

My therapist  is lovely, and I want to keep level with the same lady, as she knows my case, rather than start all over again with someone else if that makes sense! Every few months. As IveI been seeing her since July when she was still with Think Action. X 

It is a shame they didn't see my therapy as a "mental health team" so they said itsi clearly manageable. Only as I fought to get on the waiting list, heard from a friend, the doctor didn't tell me about the mental health charity. 

I am doing okish at the moment, but the thought of not seeking Counselling scares me, so I continue. XX 

Thanks for support. 
    P X 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.