Is PIP backdated if I get DLA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is PIP backdated if I get DLA?

Ianc
Ianc Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
    I suffer from depression,rheumatoid arthritis and COPD and I have had 5 operations on my hands and wrists since 2015 I have received DLA (lowest rate) and ESA for 8 years since I had to stop working.
     My condition and state of mind have vastly deteriorated  since I was first awarded these 2 benefits but I put off applying for PIP because of all the horror stories I've see regarding people being awarded  lower rates of assessment. But my DLA came to an end and have recently completed the dreaded PIP form and had my assessment.
 I rang the PIP number today to ask for a copy of my assessment award and to see if any decision had been made yet. (not yet) I also asked if PIP was backdated to when I applied, the very nice lady told me that it's not backdated as I already receive DLA and its not possible to receive 2 benefits at the same time. 
Does anyone know if this is right or have I imagined the backdating thing

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @lanc Pleased to meet you welcome.  

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Understand the benefit system is complex and confusing. I am sure there are members of our team and community who can advise you on this.

You have come to the right place and you need the right information.

Something to consider is to speak to CAB about benefit enquiries.

They have knowledge and expertise. Especially with benefits and form filling in.

We are a supportive, friendly community. Care and share.

Please ask if we can help and advise some one will know.

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ianc welcome to the community!

Have you been given a date on which your DLA will stop?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Ianc
    Ianc Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Thanks for replying.
    Yes I had a date in August but said yes to claim PIP so DLA has gone over the end date as I am in the process of being judged by PIP. 
    Had the form and assessment 3 weeks ago but forgot to ask for a copy at the end of the interview  I rang the PIP number today to ask for a copy of my assessment award and to see if any decision had been made yet. (not yet) I also asked if PIP was backdated to when I applied, the very nice lady told me that it's not backdated as I already receive DLA and its not possible to receive 2 benefits at the same time. 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    @poppy123456 please could you help @Ianc? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Your DLA will continue until a decision is made on your PIP claim. If successful, DLA will normally continue for 4 weeks then PIP will begin the following day so there is no break in payment and no back date is therefore paid
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.