PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP

jadeXX
jadeXX Community member Posts: 53 Connected
Hi all I was just wondering how long a pip decision should take it’s been 10 weeks since my assessment and every time I ring they keep saying it’s still with the decision maker 

Comments

• Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    10 weeks? Are you moving from DLA to PIP or is this a new claim? There is a limited on how long the DWP can take to assess and decide on an award. (Referred to as 'a reasonable time scale' relating to the individual circumstances of the claim) and, unfortunately,  where you live in the country. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    10 weeks? Are you moving from DLA to PIP or is this a new claim? There is a limited on how long the DWP can take to assess and decide on an award. (Referred to as 'a reasonable time scale' relating to the individual circumstances of the claim) and, unfortunately,  where you live in the country. 
    Reasonable time scale? There's no time scales. Backlogs, audits and multiple other things can all delay the time process.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jadeXX
    Its a new claim I’m fed up of waiting and the lies they tell on the report too 
  • poppy123456
    Do you have the report? If so have you added the points up in the boxes with dots or ticks?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    You can use the wait to prepare your mandatory reconsideration submission based on the report, if one should be necessary.  

advicenow.org.uk/pip-tool 

will generate an MR submission letter.
  • Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    Excuse me Poppy 12345, When referring to a reasonable time scale I was quoting a A House of Commons Committee report a few years back, when they  they said 'Client's expectations to have their cases dealt with within a reasonable timescale, were not unreasonable'. I have paraphrased obviously.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

@poppy123456 is absolutely correct, there are no timescale for DWP to deal with a PIP claim.

What is said at a DWP Select Committee and reality, is sadly, two different worlds.

Best guess 6-8 weeks from date of assessment, to payment of PIP.
  • jadeXX
    13 points for daily living and 0 for mobility even though I can hardly walk as my legs feel like they will fall off which is apparently due to my anxiety and I can’t go anywhere alone, thank you I’ll just have to carry on waiting they told me 6-8 weeks
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @jadeXX

Whilst you are waiting, seek some face to face advise from CAB.

They will assist you in preparing a MR and on to appeal if needed.

Over 70% of appeals, go with the claimant, so do seek welfare right's advice.

Keep us informed.
  • jadeXX
    I’m going to take it all the way thank you I won my LCWRA tribunal recently so hope this will be the same 
  • poppy123456
    Are you claiming PIP for a physical condition or mental health? If it's not a physical condition then you won't score any points in the moving around part of mobility, for EG..if you don't have difficulties walking because of mobililty issues or walking causes breathlessness then scoring in this descriptor isn't possible.

If it's because you can't go anywhere alone because of other reasons such as mental health, learning disability, autism etc, then it's following and planning a journey that you need to concentrate on.
  • jadeXX
    Yeah it’s my mental health but it affects me both mentally and physically 
  • poppy123456
  • jadeXX
    Thank you I can’t believe how long it takes for a decision they just keep saying that they apologise on behalf of the DWP 
  • jadeXX
    I rang PIP today and I was told that it’s still with the decision maker and they have requested more information from my report is this normal please I thought that they have the report anyway and I was also told it could take another 4 weeks 
  • poppy123456
    There's no timescales to decisions. Backlog in your area is just one of the things that can delay a decision. They'll either text or write to you once they have all the need to make a decision. I know it's stressful but there's nothing you can do until the decisions been made.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.