Benefits problems — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits problems

Options
d_cannell0211
d_cannell0211 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi has anyone else been through this. I've been on DLA and ESA for years and since end of Feb my ESA and DLA has been reduced from £240pw to £100pw with no warning. To cut a long story short had my PIP assessment end of 2016. Assessor confused me with a man with different disabilities to mine which wasn't picked up by decision maker, I had to point it out to them and then returned to assessor and all she did was change he's to she's but still had me with his disabilities and not mine. DWP didn't pick up on this again, I had to point it out to them again. They then agreed to reinstate my DLA until I was invited to apply for PIP again. For 12 months I heard nothing then in Feb my DLA stopped no warning. I rang them to find out why and explained why it was reinstated but all they cared about was after my assessment over 12mths earlier it should have been stopped and they don't know why it wasn't so they stopped it without warning also I had no right to appeal as I had to appeal within a month of the original decision a year earlier. I immediately put in a claim for PIP. I was told my DLA would continue until a decision was made. I never received anymore payments from DLA as again they said my DLA claim stopped a year ago. Besides losing £80 a week which was a big struggle. The knock on affect was that in mid August ESA stopped my disability premium as I was no longer in receipt of payment from DLA or PIP, again with no warning. I had an assessment for ESA to continue the payments a matter of months earlier and they classed me as disabled and said I needed the extra disability premium but that didn't matter or they didn't care. Since then I have finally had my PIP assessment beginning of September as my original appointment had to be cancelled due to a seizure that morning and am waiting to receive my decision. Because of this stress my health is getting worse especially with my 9yr old's birthday and Christmas coming up. I would look for a job but have actually been told I'm unemployable and when I went to a work focused group I was asked what jobs/ courses would I like to train for and when I gave them a list of my issues including that any job would have to be term time and said let me know what jobs I can realistically apply for and I would willingly train for them, they offered me Art Therapy and Arts and crafts courses. 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @d_cannell0211

It’s great to meet you today.

I’m very very sorry to hear about your current problems.

I do think that you require some expert advice with this 

We have got some “Benefit Advisors” here on the site & I will forward your post onto them.

Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo

Can you please help me out with this post please???

Many thanks.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Unfortunately the severe disability premium you're talking about isn't payable for you because you lost your DLA award and are currently waiting a decision on your PIP. The criteria for the SDP is you live alone, or classed as living alone, no one claims carers allowance for looking after you and you must either have an award of DLA mid/high rate care or PIP daily living. As you don't currently have any of these then you don't qualify for the SDP. The ESA assessment you had has nothing to do with receiving this disability premium. It would have been another work capability assessment. If your PIP award is successful and you're awarded daily living PIP, if the other criteria apply then you can re-apply for the SDP and it will be backdated to the date it stopped.

For your PIP claim,as you've now had the assessment then you can ring PIP and ask them to send you a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea what the decision will be as they mostly go with the report. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • d_cannell0211
    d_cannell0211 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Poppy I had my assessment, woman was incredibly rude. It was shambolic. I arrived 10mins early out of breath jus from walking to the area from the hospital entrance. I get there and need a drink of water and to sit down. Assessor comes out 20 minutes later and says she will be a further 20mins before seeing me so 40mins in total. One of my issues was I get out of breath easily. She didn't do one of those tests where you breath into a tube, forget what they are called. However she stated on my assessment when she saw me I didn't appear out of breath or stressed. Of course not she kept me waiting for 40mins in total. What constitutes an MSO ( full Muscular skeletal examination) The HP states she carried out a complete one but My main problem areas with my arthritis are my knees and knuckles, funnily enough she never asked me to do anything with them, just stay seated, put hands behind my waist, the look side to side and see how far I can reach when I try and touch my toes, only got as far as just past my kneecaps and try and make a circle with my feet. Couldn't even lift one of the floor completely and other only a little better. Typing this little bit and my knuckles are seizing up. Because I cant get in the bath and I don't have a shower I have to do a body wash in the bathroom by the sink, I said I need help. She gave me a zero for bathing and said, felt like it anyway that I don't need help, bear in mind I have no shower in my bathroom just the bath. How does she think I manage to clean my back. I cant get in the bath and can't carry a washing bowl full of water so my friend, my neighbour Maggie, helps me with that so I can wash my feet, she is also the one that helps me do my back etc.They never even requested any medical evidence. I was told this when I requested a Mandatory Reconsideration and I would need to do it myself as evidence of my issues. She even told bare-faced lies on my assessment report that I say I often use public transport. I haven't been on a bus for over a month before my assessment and I said I cant get to my Counseling for my depression as it would mean taking a couple of buses each way and would take 5hrs round trip incl session. Do these people have any medical experience like paramedic or nurse or GP, mine didn't even know what petit mals (absence seizures are or what happens during them. I said my short term memoy is shot because of my epilepsy mainly due to the Petit mals but neurologist was cheery said it wont get any better, my long term memory is good. HP never tested my short term memory only asked about my illnesses, which Ive had for years. On my complaints response letter it says my HP was a fully trained and approved disability advisor. Does that mean she attended a 1 or 2 day course and got a certificate at then end congratulating her for passing, but basically if you finish the 2 days everyone passes?? It sure felt that way. Hopefully my Mandatory Reconsideration evidence will back me up as it was 2 full A4 envelopes stuffed to breaking point of evidence along with a 20 sided report from me. Tried to explain my conditions to a non medical person, like Petit Mals, I Googled it to get an easy to understand explanation also for my Psoriatric arthritis, when I tell people they have never heard of it. So fingers crossed just not sure if sending all that information will be helpful or just drown them in paperwork so they ignore it. Was 3 and half envelopes but some was duplicated

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's about how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the descriptors.

Sending in information from the internet won't help any PIP claim. 20 pages of written information isn't going to help if it doesn't state how your conditions affect you against the descriptors. You need to point out those descriptors that you think you should have scored those points in and your reasons why. Giving 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you did that activity.

The onus is on the claimant to send the evidence to prove those descriptors apply and not their responsibility to prove you qualify for that benefit. It does state what evidence they accept on the information they send you when you receive the PIP form.

Only 17% of MR decisions change and most people have to take it to Tribunal. Good luck and hopefully you'll have decision on the MR soon.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.