Pip or carers allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip or carers allowance?

SJx
SJx Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi 

I have fibromyalgia and ME and I am a carer for my autistic son would I be able to claim carers allowance/ PIP for myself 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    I don’t see why you can’t claim PIP, remember the benefit is how you fit the descriptors in your abilities to do manage every day activities in your life and your mobility. Take a self test and see how you fair, but be honest with your self as the answers you submit in your PIP application form will have to be justified at your F2F acessment. Good luck.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SJx you are unable to claim Carer's Allowance for yourself however you can claim PIP 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    If your son gets high rate dla then you could get carers allowance pip depends if you fit the descriptors can check both online 
  • SJx
    Thank you Wilko I will put in a claim and see how I get on. I'm hoping to go into work part time so I haven't done a claim so far because I thought they wouldn't give me it if i was working.

Thank you Ami and firefly we get middle rate care DLA for him x 
  • SJx
    I thought perhaps because I get care part of DLA I won't get carers but I'm not sure how it all works to be honest x
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Benefits are a complete minefield and very complex @SJx! Do not worry though, we have a very knowledgeable community who can help! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    The care part is his to help with his needs carers allowance is yours if your eligible for caring for him 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    SJx said:
    I thought perhaps because I get care part of DLA I won't get carers but I'm not sure how it all works to be honest x
    You can't claim DLA for yourself because it no longer exists. PIP has replaced DLA and isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the descriptors.

Carers Allowance can be claimed if you care for someone for at least 35 hours per week and you don't earn anymore than £120 per week after deductions. If you're earning more than this then you won't be able to claim it.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    But be aware if what you claim for under PIP contradicts the care given to your child they may question it.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I like your optimism Mike.

For a start the DWP/assessor will draw their own conclusions irrespective if they are the right ones that the caring duties may well conflict with the reasons for claiming PIP or even AA.

At a Tribunal the unrepresented claimant may well be anxious and nervous and if this question is asked of them to explain how they are able to be both the disabled claimant and the carer for at least 35 hours a week they would possibly be unable to explain away the deemed contradiction.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.