What precautions do you take for your personal safety? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What precautions do you take for your personal safety?

CockneyRebel
CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
edited November 2018 in Coffee lounge
As I get older and less able, sometimes I feel vunerable when out, especially when in town or crowded places. I live in a fairly remote location and with the nights getting dark very early I am also becoming wary when at home.

What precautions do you take for your personal safety ?

For example, when I go out I carry an air horn in my pocket

Any suggestions welcome
Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @CockneyRebel my friend how are you?

Great minds think a like. My concern as it is every time I have to go out.

Going out on Monday appointment could only get it  nearly toward  time of getting dark.

Simple one for me is to have a plan and make sure you are aware of your own fragilities and problems you have.

Be careful. Simple thing to ask you self do I need to do the shopping late at night . When you can get it delivered. Most supermarkets offer schemes to deliver shopping up to eleven at night.

Same with prescriptions on the Patients register can get them delivered. Instead of going to a crowded chemist or store.

Have with me emergency numbers on my phone. Have a card in my wallet. Got that from the Police who visited last mental health charity.

Has details of emergency contacts and any one I need to call. Part of a scheme run by shops in the town I live in. See that logo on the issuing card.  You can go and seek there help.  If in distress.  Has a logo making our Community a safe place.

Also it is how you deal with going out. I have and will carry a torch . Small one.  In my pocket.

Not hopefully draw attention to yourself.  I  know myself live in a small village and am aware of my surroundings.

Have and do need to use a taxi. Reluctant and scared to use the bus and hate standing around waiting for one.

Yes it costs a bit but in the end you are in a car being driven home and not waiting.

Those of us who lived in a time where this never really happened. Now feel most vulnerable all the time and have and do feel unsafe.  Have been targets of hate crime and do think it is taking sensible precautions.

Never one to alarm people but being at home. When leaving put a porch or hall light on.

Bought some of those Trilights mini ones to install outside with batteries to light up the door way and back of the house.

Wish every one keep safe and secure.

Pleasure to talk to you.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Great advice guys, my iphone is set to press button 3 times to call for help
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I also always follow same route and tell my son where I go etc
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    You can get inexpensive timers, plug lamps in, and maybe a radio too.  and set the timer vo to 'Random'.     That way, even if someone is watching the house, the will see a light come on in one room, then another.  One will go off again.   The burglar will guess at least one person is moving room to room

Brightness