Winter fuel allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Winter fuel allowance

Mikey44
Mikey44 Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
hello people,I had PIP they took it from me and I won my Tribunal and still haven’t heard anymore?? but my question now is,am I entitled to the Winter Fuel Allowance??? I used to get it but with all this mess of losing PIP it’s will be two years now but n total any idea please ??? Or how do I claim or find out the Procedure?? Thanks in advance ??

Comments

• Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    If you are retired, over 65 you are entitled to claim Winter Fuel Allowance, a quick call to Pensions Credit number and they will confirm if you are eligible. You can google Winter Fuel Allowance, and complete the online form, if you are unsure. Have you claimed Winter Home Warm Allowance from your electricity supplier? It is worth £140 off your electricity or gas bill. Contact your supplier and ask for a form or some will actually do it over the phone. Have your NI number ready.

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to! 
  • Mikey44
    No I am only 45 but registered Partially Sighted and also classed as Paralised on my left side due to a stroke,and unable to work so not sure what I would be classed as 
  • Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    OK, if you are receiving income support, you may be eligible. Again, may I suggest you ? income support. 
  • Mikey44
    Thanks I am only getting ESA and waiting for Universal Credit Assessment 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, to claim the warm front £140 discount off your electricity bill during the winter period, your electricity supplier must be a offering member. To claim you have to be on a low income and claiming certain benefits at the time of the claim, you contact your supplier and if they offer this discount a form will be sent to you or you can go on the suppliers website and fill in an application online making sure you have your NI number and benefits claims you are making to hand. The cold weather payments are made automatically when the temperature drops to the deemed level for so many days .
  • Mikey44
    Thanks Wilko my only issue is that I’m still waiting for my PIP to be reinstated after winning my Tribunal so it’s an issue for lots of things at the moment ?
  • justg72
    justg72 Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Hi Mikey44
    I am with EDF and here what it says on their site about the warm home discount. You can apply online with your energy supplier I think its from October to March every year. I always apply in October as they only have so much funding so I make sure I have completed mine early because of this. 
     (1) Income Support and one of the following:
    Has parental responsibility for a child under the age of 5 who ordinarily resides with you
    • Receives a disabled child premium or Child Tax Credit which includes a disability or severe disability element
    • Receives a disability premium, enhanced disability premium, severe disability premium
    • Receives a Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance for you or another adult living with you
    • Receives a pensioner premium, higher pensioner premium or enhanced pensioner premium 

(2) Income-related Employment and Support Allowance and one of the following:

• Has parental responsibility for a child under the age of 5 who ordinarily resides with you
    • Receives a disabled child premium or Child Tax Credit which includes a disability or severe disability element
    • Receives a disability premium, enhanced disability premium, severe disability premium
    • Receives a Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance for you or another adult living with you
    • Receives a pensioner premium, higher pensioner premium or enhanced pensioner premium;
    • Receives a work related activity or support group component

(3) Income-based Job Seekers Allowance and one of the following:

• Has parental responsibility for a child under the age of 5 who ordinarily resides with you
    • Receives a Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance for you or another adult living with you
    • Receives a pensioner premium, higher pensioner premium or enhanced pensioner premium

(4) Universal Credit and have earned less than £1,349 in at least one month since 1 March 2018 and one of the following: 

• Receives the limited capability for work element, with or without a work-related activity element
    • Receives the disabled child element;
    • Receives disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance for you or another adult living with you
    • Receives the child element benefit for a dependent child who ordinarily resides with you 

(5) Child Tax Credit by virtue of an award which is based on your annual income not exceeding £16,190

(6) Working Tax Credit and you have a household income of £16,190 or less and one of the following:

• Receives a disabled worker element or severe disability element, Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance for you or another adult living with you
    • Is aged 62 years or over 

(7) Pension Credit – Pension Credit – Savings Credit ONLY (eg you do not receive the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit)

If you get Pension Credit which includes the Guaranteed Credit element on the qualifying date of 8 July 2018, you’ll automatically qualify for the Warm Home Discount rebate. If you’re not sure which elements of Pension Credit you get, contact the Pension Service or check your Pension Credit award notice. 

How we check applications

IncomeMax, an organisation who works on our behalf, might ask you for documents that show you’re getting the right benefits.

When are rebates paid?

We hope to pay all Warm Home Discount rebates from October 2018 to the end of February 2019. And we hope to pay Warm Home Discount – Support Plus rebates from November 2018 to the end of February 2019. Both are one-off payments of £140.

Remember that you'll only get a rebate if your application’s successful and you’re still an EDF Energy customer when we come to pay it.

So sorry its so long but I thought other scope members would benefit from this information.

Hope this helps 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    It's not the winter fuel payment because of your age. It's warm home discount. PIP alone doesn't usually qualify you for things like this. It's certain means tested benefits and sometimes low income. Check your energy supplier to see what their criteria is.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Mikey44
    Thanks Poppy ??
  • Mikey44
    Cheers JustG I’ve applied for the WarmHome Discount it doesn’t give you any indication whether you are eligible or not or if you’ve been successful but it’s done so that’s all I can do but thanks to all who have replied to my post ???
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Many thanks to everyone who gave such amazing info & advice.
    We learn somthing every day on here

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.