Why, oh why? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why, oh why?

Topkitten
Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
edited November 2018 in Coffee lounge
Do so many stories on TV always have to end in "happy ever after"? There is no such situation for me and for many others yet we get bombarded by such things. It seems that from a very young age we are conditioned into believing that if we aren't with someone then we have failed in some respect. No wonder there are so many bad relationships when people are made so desperate.

I am sick and tired of Xmas already yet, instead of some TV station boycotting the subject there are some stations broadcasting only Xmas films and shows. Disgusting!

A channel showing American shows has been pushing a series called "The detail" recently. Bloody cheek! The scripts are almost a straight copy of "Scott & Bailey". Is there no originality left? Whilst I have been recording both shows I am a little fed up with the British version because I simply find people being so stupid in their private life without ever learning from mistakes a little unbelievable. I find the American version even worse. Pathetic!

I have the Sky movie channels on special offer at the moment but they are dreadful. After catching a few I have looked forward to I simply stopped using them. I was thinking it might improve at Xmas but don't know if I have that much patience, lol!

Apart from a few films on 4, F1 and the NFL there is little I look forward to on TV. Arrow is the exception as I find it interesting as it develops. The Shannara Chronicles is also quite good though I get a little fed up with teenagers being the worlds saviours in so many American shows. I wish the people with the ideas would recognise that the aged and infirm probably watch more TV than any other groups.There is an American series I thought would be good and that is Constantine (follow up to the Keanu Reeves film) but it seems to concentrate too much on the horror aspect really. I did fancy watching something called "The Outpost" but somehow missed the first episode on both recording and catch-up so I am hoping it will be repeated sometime. On a good note the series "Midnight, Texas" series 2 has made an appearance and it's something I would recommend but can be a little scary at times.

Having missed all the fireworks (except for the noise) I guess that another bonfire night without me has come and gone. I wish the kids would remember how much I used to enjoy it all.

TK
"I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Comments

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Glad to know I'm not alone @Topkitten.   Sick to death with the Americanisation of Halloween, soon to be followed by Black Friday, then Christmas [or is it now Xmas?].  Squeezed somewhere in-between we manage to celebrate?  the failure of one good guy who tried and failed to change the government of this sad country.   Ah well...'tis the season to be jolly is it not?

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Topkitten
    Sorry @exdvr, I can't imagine any "jolly" season any more and I detest Xmas. Btw, I use Xmas as it's less typing and for no other reason.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    edited November 2018
    @Topkitten @exdvr i love a happy ending  on tv , just need a man to make a happy ending for me lol
  • Topkitten
    I used to believe that a woman was what I needed @topshoes. Two divorces, three children and another failed relationship taught me better. Now I know that if I really cared for someone I would never inflict my miserable future on them and so actively avoid women altogether. except as friends. Unfortunately most women prefer to date friends rather than strangers and this has caused me the loss of those that I have been friends with.

TK
  • topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    edited November 2018
      @Topkitten yes not the same any more no romantic in the air , only people who just want a friend , not for me want a boyfriend but can not see it happening , but you just never know so everyone keeps saying to me , yes you do get like that , i dont mind being on my own , you live and learn and my goodness i learn alright got the scars to prove it still, but thats life who you get married to . 
  • Topkitten
    I'm old @topshoes, so it makes little or no difference now. If this had happened younger then I might have felt different. I do miss the company at times especially when I am suffering badly or cannot make any headway with the groups I have to deal with but it still wouldn't offset the misery that being with and around me would cause.

I hope things go better for you though.

TK
  • gwen65
    gwen65 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    have you got box sets "blind spot " i was gripped there are 3 series the 4th is just starting now . I love midnight texas 
  • Ralph
    Ralph Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    Check out Ray Donovan. There’s sex, violence etc but not gratuitous and fitting narrative. Jon Voight is superb and it’s certainly hasn’t many happy endings. 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I enjoy Nordic noir like The Bridge. I enjoy bbc4 with programmes like Beck . Also been watching trapped on BBC alba

Brightness