What equipment do I need to record a PIP assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What equipment do I need to record a PIP assessment?

lesleyjohn
lesleyjohn Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
what type of recording machine/machines do I need to record a pip assessment please I have one in just over 2 weeks time and really need to record as the last one was horrific she was nasty when she spoke hardly examined me and wrote down answers to questions I hadn't even been asked I really need to record this next assessment as I cannot cope with another awful one 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lesleyjohn welcome to the community!
    Atos UK says you can record your assessment if you give prior notice and use (expensive) equipment that can produce two identical copies – one for Atos and one for you. Atos doesn’t allow PCs, laptops, tablets, smartphones and MP3.

The DWP (Department for Work and Pensions) has accepted that customers can ask the company conducting Work Capability Assessments for Employment Support Allowance (ESA) to make a recording, if they ask in advance, but this is not available yet for PIP assessments. 

Read what Benefits and Work says about secret recordings.
    Hope this helps! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

You'll need to get permission to record the assessment. You'll need to use 2 CD/tape recorders and produce 2 identical copies and hand 1 copy in at the end of the assessment. Recording an assessment without permission could see your assessment being stop, your file returned to DWP and a refusal may occur of the benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Personally I wouldn't bother. Even if your record the assessment with permission there is little that you can do with it if you want to present it to the DWP for evidence purposes.
    The DWP would not accept a CD or a tape recording. If you still want to use the contents of what was recorded then you would have to arrange, at your cost, for it to be professionally transcribed.
  • lesleyjohn
    lesleyjohn Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    that stinks then as at my last pip assessment she was nasty to me when she did speak to me then in her report she put answers to questions I was supposed to have given verbal answers to that she never asked me at all and I was told that she wasn't interested in how my conditions affect my everyday life so it seems you are at the mercy of whoever you get and what ever mood they are in on the day and if they have an axe to grind re anyone on benefits for what ever reason then you have no recourse at all 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 27 Connected
    Tape it even if u have to pay to transcribe.if your conditions impact you daily and medical evidence backs you do it. Believe it or not some assessors fail you deliberately
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    johnnyboy said:
    Tape it even if u have to pay to transcribe.if your conditions impact you daily and medical evidence backs you do it. Believe it or not some assessors fail you deliberately
    As it's now been a month since the question was asked the OP would have already had their assessment, as it was 2 weeks after asking the question.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 27 Connected
    Sorry for trying to help

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.