Lack of sleep due to pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lack of sleep due to pain

Firefly123
Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
edited November 2018 in Coffee lounge
Beginning to forget what a good night's sleep feels like as even when I'm exhusted I'm finding it so hard to sleep. Then I wake up in so much pain it's taking its toll on all aspects of my life. 

Waiting to go to a pain clinic but who knows how long that will take I need pain relief while I'm waiting.my doctor keeps telling me to wait I would like to see him wait in agony for going on 3 months now. 

Comments

• mumjac
    mumjac Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Do you know what are causing these pain , ive got rheumatoid arthritis and i take codin paracetamol it helps but not a cure 
  • Firefly123
    They said its fibromyagia but I'm not so sure I'm taking codeine and paracetamol but not helping much at all 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Firefly123
    Im sorry to hear you are struggling so much with pain, will your GP not give you any other pain relief?

There are some suggestions here around self help and pain that might be worth a try? Have you tried heat pads or hot water bottles? They can be helpful for a  lot of people.

Not sleeping is so tough and effects every part of your life. I hope you get to see the pain clinic soon and that you GP can offer some other help till your appointment comes through,

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Firefly123
    Thanks for the links @Sam_Scope will have a read of them.
    I'm going back to the doctors tomorrow I'm a carer and can't even care for myself with this pain. 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I would suggest you try some cognitive behaviour therapy if you can get it via your g p who can refer you. I try different relaxation and distraction techniques depending on my symptoms which sometimes help. For sleeping I try calming music playing low when I'm getting ready for bed, or binaural beats on YouTube for sleep or for pain therapy. I really enjoy them. I have chronic pain and and often dont sleep very well and it can really wear you down. It can become a viscous cycle. It's important that you try to get your pain meds worked out which may mean trial and error. I use a microwave heat wrap for my neck or my back in bed and I have a body pillow which I use to support the painful parts of my body. It's important to consider any vitamin or mineral deficiencies you may have and look at supplements if necessary. Every little helps. Message me if you want to chat further. Good luck
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118 Listener
    sorry to hear your struggling with pain. Have you tried magnesium suppliments? really help me and epsom saltbaths. its all trial and error trying different approaches for different people so its also a personal journey to find what helps and what doesnt. If you do have fibromyalgia stress levels affect it badly so anything that is relaxing and calming can help. medication can be changed,  added to also to find the best ones for you.  Good luck with lowering the stress levels and pain could become more manageable
  • Firefly123
    Thank you both my doctor has not gave me any pain medication at all. Told me to continue with the paracetamol and ibuprofen even though I told him they are not even touching the pain. Gave me something to help me sleep. Yes my stress level is high as I'm a carer of 3 young adults and can't do much at all

@debbiedo49 I have an iron vitamin C and Vitamin D deficiency so take supplements for them 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    You should go back to your g p or try another one 
  • Firefly123
    All he did was give me Amitrptyline I was like emmm I've been on that for around 2 years now so he doubled the dose but still no pain killers but did refer me for an utra scan on my shoulders as still can't lift my arms up. 
  • daisyboo2011
    daisyboo2011 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I have fibromyalgia and have a lot of sleeping problems. I take tramadol for the pain and I know if I've missed any tablets throughout the day cause I suffer a lot afterwards. It takes me along time to get to sleep so nowadays I read my kindle (on phone) often helps to relax and drop off for awhile. 
  • Firefly123
    Hi @daisyboo2011 I'm just resently diagnosed and ouch is all I can say. The lack of sleep seems to make all worse I put on the most boring documentaries and hope it bores me to sleep 

Brightness