Confused.... — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confused....

yme
yme Community member Posts: 6 Connected
I was on IB from 2008 till around 2012 when I was changed to ESA CB and placed in a support group (not sure which one I'm in...my letter from January this year just says you are in a support group) but it does say where talking about how benefits worked out  as limited capabilities for work group....all I remember is something about being in a support group but didn't have to go to any meeting (think that's what it said). I have been on this benefit ever since. 

Today I received a form asking about working since 2012 but am confused and concerned as it says if my partner works (they do), have savings over £16,000 (don't) or not worked during that time till now (haven't), then do not fill in form. 

I think it's saying that I can only stay on the CB for 12 months but only if paid NI during the previous tax year, that credit NI do not count. 

The letter gives no details as to what to do if the criteria isn't met. What should I do?

I thought that being in a support group meant that I was to remain on the CB ESA. Have I got this wrong?

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    There's no time limit to CB ESA when placed into the Support Group, it's paid for as long as you remain in there.

It's possible to receive CB with an Income related top up, which is what the letter is about. Those that transferred from IB to ESA were automatically placed on CB and weren't assessed for the income related top up.

A partner working, savings/capital and household income will all count against a claim for the income related top up. What the form is saying, is that if any of those apply there's no need to fill the form in.

You say your partner didn't work for some of the time? If they didn't work what benefits were they claiming?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Since you received this letter and confused by its contents, your first port of call is not to this forum but phone the DWP number most likely on your letter and ask what needs to be done, what is required of you, taking advice opinions from here may or may not help you situation, yo phone the DWP and get the answers direct from the people who sent the letter.
  • poppy123456
    @wilko It's not always easy for some people to pick the phone up and ring someone. You don't know the persons situation and they may have a issue talking to people.

I answered the question asked, which for me was no problem at all. Please have some consideration for others when commenting on threads. After all, the forum is here to support people in their time of need.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    That true poppy, but at the end of the day by going back and forth on the forum they will still need to speak to DWP to sort things out 
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    wilko said:
    That true poppy, but at the end of the day by going back and forth on the forum they will still need to speak to DWP to sort things out 
    But getting some advice first most definitely helps me and no doubt many others. It's not always easy for some people to just pick up the phone not knowing what to expect. 
  • poppy123456
    At then end of the day, there's people out there that rely on an internet forum if they won't speak on the phone. It was a question that i was able to answer, which was no problem at all for me. No need to ring ESA because to be assessed for Income related top up you need to fill in the ESA3 anyway, otherwise you can't be assessed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.