Pip award letter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip award letter

pixie61
pixie61 Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
So after being on DLA for 11 years, I am now well enough not to get mobility part of pip. I do however get standard for help & care. The assessors report was full of lied & inaccuracies. I don’t qualify because in their opinion I was not unkempt, agitated or tense, I kept eye contact & could  plan & undertake a journey! How is most of that relevent to mobility? I did tell her I couldn’t plan a journey! I do get anxious if I drive to our local shops with him with me!! I now have to give our car up! The system stinks!! 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pixie61
    Im sorry to hear this, it is a story we hear from so many members unfortunately.

Are you planning to appeal the decision? We have information and videos around appeals that might help, if you have any questions, do let us know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOsiEFo-Ck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67tDSlsityY

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • pixie61
    Thank you thank you, yes I do intend to appeal, just getting my head round it all 
  • DavidJohn1984
    DavidJohn1984 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Hi Pixie61, I would also put in a letter of complaint to the company who employs the assessor, in my case it was Capita but I hear that ATOS also helps do the assessments. Good luck and sorry to hear more people have had this experience. Take care David
  • pixie61
    Hi David, I was thinking about putting in a letter of complaint concerning assessor, mine was Atos. Really appreciate your advice. My head is buzzing as to where to start. But with the advice this lovely group is giving, I’m slowly processing my thoughts as to what I must do (if that makes sense lol). Thanks for replying x 
  • DavidJohn1984
    DavidJohn1984 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Hey Pixie61, I fully understand. I was told I couldn’t even complain for months. My assessment was in June and I have only just put in the complaint. I just listed how my conditions effect me, where I believed the assessor had miss represented the truth and I even had a letter from my Dr and hospital admissions and discharge letters put in with my complaint. Hope this helps David x
  • lynnoseman
    lynnoseman Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    pixie61 said:
    So after being on DLA for 11 years, I am now well enough not to get mobility part of pip. I do however get standard for help & care. The assessors report was full of lied & inaccuracies. I don’t qualify because in their opinion I was not unkempt, agitated or tense, I kept eye contact & could  plan & undertake a journey! How is most of that relevent to mobility? I did tell her I couldn’t plan a journey! I do get anxious if I drive to our local shops with him with me!! I now have to give our car up! The system stinks!! 

• lynnoseman
    lynnoseman Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Hi i know the feeling, my son recently had a PIP assessment after being on DLA for years. He has been refused for the same reasons you have, perhaps this is a standard form they use. eye contact, smiling not unkempt no evidence of distress or psychosis etc. an absolute joke. i am in a state of disbelief i have asked for a copy of the report and a mandatory reconsideration, I am also trying to get more evidence about his Paranoid schizophrenia in the meantime i am in a state of distress and so is he. this is causing his hardship how dare they think they can asssess somebody's mental state in an hour which takes years for a psyciatrist to diagnose. i feel your pain.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118 Listener
    I agree with the conclusions you have made ...how dare they judge mental health by how your hair is or looking people in the eye or even how you dress! this shows how incompetent and uneducated they are regarding mental health. How the heck they are classed as assesors is so shocking when you think what their role is for. Thank goodness they are not in a job where they decide treatments for mentally ill as they would medicate / section/councel etc the wrong people.and not those who need said treatments...so guess wwe are lucky they only have the power to affect our financial lives and the damage that causees to our mental health is enough as it is.

Brightness