Can u get help for mobilty scooter anywere — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can u get help for mobilty scooter anywere

redstony
redstony Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi all im on pip and child benefit scored zero on esa so at tribunal thing is i have a mobility scooter that has broke down im having to get my kids to push me to school on a bike with stabalizers and freeweel home (all down hill on way back thank got got crps(nerve damage) in both feet is there any financial help for a new scooter im doing more damage to myself doing this also have copd so its killing me sny advice be great ty in advance

Comments

• topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    edited November 2018
    Hi @redstony A  warm welcome to you, i am so sorry to hear about your scooter , i bet it is not easy for you also , i am not sure if you can get any financial help , i am sure someone will be along to advise you  , some times people give away things on  facebook , gumtree, ebay  and there is alot of others to might be worth  you looking at  , hope this helps
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @redstony
    Speak to your GP if you need equipment at home or to help you get around. They can tell you about local sources of help or refer you to your local Social Services or NHS.

Your local disability information and advice line may also have details of organisations in your area that hire wheelchairs and mobility scooters. It may also be worth exploring grants.

You can read more information here
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • redstony
    Ty for reply but getting nowere its hard to get help when im not classed as on any benefits because of been chucked of esa but ty for repying feel like giving up ive 2 kids to try and raise through all this mess
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh I am sorry to hear that, has your GP refused to help?
    It’s worth checking our grants search for organisations that may fund wheelchairs. Each organisation has its own rules about:
    • what they fund
    • the size of individual grants
    • eligibility (including means testing)
    • the assessment and supply process 
    Some will let you tell them what you need and get it yourself. Others will ask you to go to a specific supplier for an assessment.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • redstony
    edited November 2018
    My g p is an ******* said nothing up with me for 6 months said its in my head turns out ive crps (nerve damage both feet)asked for referal
  • redstony
    To mental health i had to scream n shout to get one
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear this @redstony, that must have been really frustrating.

Have you considered seeing a different GP and getting a second opinion? Sometimes somebody looking at your circumstances with fresh eyes can make a really big difference!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,337 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Try looking on gumtree or facebook for your area. Both of these very often see people selling cheap 2nd hand mobility scooters. Unfortunately a GP won't be able to help you get a mobility scooter.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • siobhan1
    siobhan1 Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    Do you have any local groups where you can post to ask someone to look at your mobility scooter? Also can you ask adult services or red cross to help you with a manual wheelchair in the time being? I don't know your circumstances or how your health condition affects you but would using a wheelchair up and down the hill be safer and more comfortable for you until you have a working scooter again? 

Brightness