Work capability assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work capability assessment

robinhood8
robinhood8 Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
Good evening everybody can somebody please advise me I'm off sick and had to leave my job under the ground of ill health I'm claiming universal credit put get paid on the 22nd of November and the last payment form work 24th of Septemberand now they're sending me for a capability assessment I really don't understand these people at all so can somebody help me but advise me what do they do at a capability statement thank you Jacqueline which appreciat

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @robinhood8

Welcome it’s great to meet you this evening.

I have found you some info from our current members.

Hopefully this will be useful for you??????
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @robinhood8,

Wishing you all the best with the assessment. Disability Rights UK have some information on the assessment on their website which you may find helpful, and I'm sure our other members will be able to advise too. Do keep us updated!
  • Eadiesmummy1
    Eadiesmummy1 Community member Posts: 90 Courageous
    Hello and welcome to the board. The work capability assessment is to work out if you are eligible to recieve an extra amount on your universal credit. There are 2 groups you can be placed into: limited capability for work, there is no extra amount payable, however you will have less universal credit interviews and your claimant commitment will change or the limited capability for work and work related activity, where you will recieve an extra 300 and some payment on top of your regular universal credit payment, if placed in this category you will not need to attend the job center or look for work and again your claimant commitment will change. You need to attend a work capability assessment after sending back the UC50 form which they sent out to assess how your conditions affect your daily life and to give the DWP a better understanding of what you can and cannot do. Hope this helps. Laura x 
  • Eadiesmummy1
    At the assessment you will be asked the same questions as you answered on the UC50 form except they will be asked face to face. At mine they asked the questions and then asked me to do some movements and he checked my reflexes etc. The movements are not designed to cause any pain so if you feel like you cannot do something mention it to the assessor x 
  • robinhood8
    robinhood8 Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    Thank you all for your advice and support ?
    H
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    I remember you claim PIP am i right? If so then a WCA assessment for UC is very similar to this assessment, it just has different criteria.

During the assessment you'll be assessed on the work you can do rather than the work you can't do. They'll ask you questions about how your conditions affect you.

Have you looked to see what the descriptors are for each of the groups? In case you haven't then they are here. It's the LCWRA (limited capability for work related activity) that you need for the extra monthly payment.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Eadiesmummy1
    Thank you all for your advice and support ?7
    H
    you are most welcome xx 
  • deanjroach84
    deanjroach84 Community member Posts: 14 Listener

i had my Work Capability Assessment today, can some give me a rough idea on how long i have to wait until i hear back from the DWP?

• poppy123456
    edited November 2018
    There's no time scales, the backlogs is just one of many reasons. Ring next week and ask for a copy of the assessment report, this will give you an idea of what the decision will be.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • deanjroach84
    deanjroach84 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    awesome idea!! Thank you will give them a ring next week.
  • Charleyb
    Charleyb Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Hi had my esa assessment the other day how long does it take for them to send the decision back to me. I let the man know that my condition has got much worse he asked me a lot of questions about my life and I just told him the gods honest truth. And how much pain going to the assessment had caused me now I’m suffering and in intense pain which has caused me to become very depressed 
  • poppy123456
    Charleyb said:
    Hi had my esa assessment the other day how long does it take for them to send the decision back to me. I let the man know that my condition has got much worse he asked me a lot of questions about my life and I just told him the gods honest truth. And how much pain going to the assessment had caused me now I’m suffering and in intense pain which has caused me to become very depressed 
    As i said above, there's no time scales. Ring next week for a copy of the assessment report.
  • valleyboy
    valleyboy Community member Posts: 55 Connected
    @deanjroach84,I had my esa assessment on the 30th of October literally 3weeks today and still ain't heard,if nothing arrives in the post today then I'll be RINGING the DWP..
  • poppy123456
    valleyboy said:
    @deanjroach84,I had my esa assessment on the 30th of October literally 3weeks today and still ain't heard,if nothing arrives in the post today then I'll be RINGING the DWP..
    3 weeks isn't long, it can be as long as 8 weeks or more for a decision after the assessment. Have you asked for a copy of the assessment report?
  • valleyboy
    valleyboy Community member Posts: 55 Connected
    Upto 8weeks?I knows a few friends who's heard within just over 2weeks bearing in mind the same assessment centre & area I resides..
    Like I said previously I'll be RINGING the DWP later today to see if a decision as been made..the post here can arrive anytime between 11am-130pm..
  • poppy123456
    Yes 8 weeks. Backlogs is just 1 of the things that can delay a decision, there's many other things that can delay it. Comparing your assessment to someone else's isn't going to help. If the report was chosen for audit it can delay the decision a lot.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.