Type 1 diabetic — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Type 1 diabetic

Rosie1650
Rosie1650 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
Looking for any advice please, Appled for PIp and on UC. Husband is type 1 diabetic, had a stroke and is on insulin pump and sensors. Just had an angioplasty to save his right foot, and looking like we are away to loose his left leg due to vascular disease, he also had diabetic neuropathy and eyes are bad, suffering from severe depression now and this has all happened in our Assesement phase of UC credit, it’s been 4 months now and both UC50 in for myself and husband. PIp Assesement had to take my husband who just out of his operation, two weeks ago, could hardly walk. 
Im not sure what the stages are and process, so fed up waiting and can’t believe all these restrictions and time scales, any advice would be so appreciated 
thank you 
Rosie x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear all this. Waiting times for a UC LCW assessment vary depending on backlog in your area. They give a guide to the waiting period being 3 months, but very often it goes over that time. Hope you'll hear something soon. Expect a face to face assessment for this, as most have them.

For the PIP, waiting times for decisions again depend on backlog in your area. You can ring DWP and ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you, his will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with the report. Hopefully you won't be waiting much longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rosie1650, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and sorry to hear about your husband's situation. It sounds like you've both had a lot to deal with lately, on top of applying for benefits. I hope the above advice from Poppy has helped, and please do feel free to ask any further questions. We have lots of knowledgeable members who will do their best to help! 
  • Rosie1650
    Thank you for the messages, they were very helpful.
     I phoned PIP this afternoon, after reading this and have requested a copy of the report of husbands assesement. Stated,,, that it is with the DM now.  And copy will be sent out for next week.  
    Re. UC this is so frustrating, the journal I feel does not work or communicate efficiently, I had my Assesement on Saturday.  Called about husband UC50 and they have requested more info from GP. 
    Q, fit notes have been supplied from day one, will this be backdated if placed into LWCRA group ?
    Q if husband gets awarded PIP do I claim Carers allowance or Carers element, I am in full service area in Scotland 
    thank you so much for your help, xx 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    If given LCWRA then the extra money is paid from the 4th month of sending in your fit notes. It's not paid for the first 3 months of your claim. No extra money is paid if the decision is LCW.

If your husband is awarded the daily living PIP then you can claim the carers element of UC provided you care for him for at least 35 hours per week. When claiming UC you do not have to claim carers allowance to claim the carers element of UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Rosie1650 said:
    Husband is type 1 diabetic, had a stroke and is on insulin pump and sensors. Just had an angioplasty to save his right foot, and looking like we are away to loose his left leg due to vascular disease, he also had diabetic neuropathy and eyes are bad, suffering from severe depression.
    Amongst my many ailments and difficulties I too am a Type 1 Diabetic with PAD in the left leg now (they sorted out the right one a year or two back and suffer from depression.

In all of my three assessments the assessors considered the above three conditions and came to the conclusion that none of them was capable of causing me any issues or impact as they can either be moderated with either medication or surgery - in other words they are not considered to create lasting and impacting difficulties.
  • Rosie1650
    https://community.scope.org.uk/profile/Yadnad that is awful what you have to endure, can I ask what the outcome was or should i say are you still in the process and stuck in the system. Thank you for the reply and do wish you well, any advice would be greatly accepted, just waiting now and get the feeling I will need to appeal, have the Assesement report arriving soon, so should be a bit clearer on my end of things and give a better understanding. This site is so helpful tho 
    thanks rosie 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Rosie1650 said:
    https://community.scope.org.uk/profile/Yadnad that is awful what you have to endure, can I ask what the outcome was or should i say are you still in the process and stuck in the system. Thank you for the reply and do wish you well, any advice would be greatly accepted, just waiting now and get the feeling I will need to appeal, have the Assesement report arriving soon, so should be a bit clearer on my end of things and give a better understanding. This site is so helpful tho 
    thanks rosie 
    I can't really help you much more - I'll probably depress you further if I tell you what has happened in the past 5 years as regards PIP.

Suffice it to say that after the 3rd re-assessment at the back end of 2017 where I once again received 0 points and failed the MR I gave up. I could have gone on to the Tribunal but my health and wellbeing was more important. Now I receive no financial help whatsoever for any of the difficulties I have to endure - seems that the DWP believe that I am now fit and well!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.