Struggling to cover household bills — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling to cover household bills

Paddie
Paddie Community member Posts: 75 Courageous
Morning everyone.
I just wondered if anyone can advise me on an issue I have please?
I am on a water meter & am struggling to pay the bills...... I have to have daily baths due to a skin condition, that is part of my illness.
Also, I have to use a dishwasher as I'm unable to stand at the sink & wash up.. plus a lot of other things too.

I am on (fortunately, for the time being) enhanced PIP.
However, as we know it's not a lot & it's not covering my house hold bills etc.

So, I'm basically asking, is there any further help I could get?

Be so grateful for any help....

Thank you

Paddie

Comments

• siobhan1
    siobhan1 Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    Do you already work or claim ESA or another benefit alongside PIP? Also you could ask your water company to put you on their priority services register which means they have to treat you eith adjustments like calling you when the water will be switched off to fix a leak and bringing you bottled water if needed... but they should also never pass your debt to a debt collection agency if you class yourself as a vulnerable person without trying to help you first. They will also have a department who helps customers who are struggling to afford their water bills. A family member had their entire bill with United Utilities written off when he was in hardship.
  • Paddie
    Thank you Siobhan1for your reply & advice.
    I don't work at all & am only getting PiP Benefit.
    I'll try & "look up" the Water Company & see if I can be put on their priority list.
    Thanks again
    Paddie
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    Hi @Paddie,

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling financially at the moment. You've had some great advice already, but you may also be interested in this Citizens Advice resource on getting help with bills, and this extra money and help PIP entitles you to. Hope this helps!

If you've got a gas or electric bill you can’t pay, you should contact your supplier to help you sort out a payment plan that works for you. They must help you do this and you can get help from your local Citizens Advice if they don't.

You can also read about benefits and grants that are available to help with energy bills.

To cut your future bills you should make sure you're on the best deal you can get. Use our price comparison tool to check.

You can also find out about other ways to save money on your bills in the long term.

Water bills
    If you can't pay your current bill, read our advice on how to negotiate with your water company. Most water companies have hardship schemes or other ways to help customers who talk to them about problems.

If you can pay now but want to reduce your future bills, check how you could pay less.
  • Paddie
    Pippa
    Thank you so much for all the information you have supplied.
    I certainly will, check it all out.
    your a font of knowledge!!!!
    Bw
    Paddie
  • gillian29
    gillian29 Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
    gillian29, Hi paddie I have a skin condition and have one or two baths a day,I’m on a metre and started struggling with the water bill.i rang them up,and they have put s cap on my water bill,I pay £8 a week and if it goes over that I never pay anymore,they have been so helpful.Hope you soon get sorted Gill 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Claiming any other benefits besides the PIP will totally depend on your circumstances. PIP isn't means tested and can be claimed regardless of household income.

You say you don't work. Do you live with a partner that works? Have dependent children? claim a pension maybe? Do you rent your home or have a mortgage?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • DavidJohn1984
    DavidJohn1984 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Hi @paddy have you tried watersure schemes? My Mom gets a massive reduction on her water bill due to needing to shower regularly for her skin condition. 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/water/water-supply/problems-with-paying-your-water-bill/watersure-scheme-help-with-paying-water-bills/

that’s the info I believe. Hope this helps.
  • Paddie
    Hiya Gillian, David John & poppy.... Thank you all so much for your velp
    & advice.
    I shall take it all on board look into it.
    I had to give up a career that I adored & still do, many years ago due to health reasons.
    i never gave up hope of returning....& although it's now impossible for me to ever return, I still hold on to a fragment of hope.
    My husband gets a pension & works two days a wk.
    I have no children.
    we are blessed to have our own home ?.
    But have no "funds" to really rely on to pay big bills.
    It makes me extremely anxious when "Bills" are high.
    Thanks again for caring....
    Paddie xx

• elvira977
    elvira977 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Paddie said:
    Morning everyone.
    I just wondered if anyone can advise me on an issue I have please?
    I am on a water meter & am struggling to pay the bills...... I have to have daily baths due to a skin condition, that is part of my illness.
    Also, I have to use a dishwasher as I'm unable to stand at the sink & wash up.. plus a lot of other things too.

I am on (fortunately, for the time being) enhanced PIP.
    However, as we know it's not a lot & it's not covering my house hold bills etc.

So, I'm basically asking, is there any further help I could get?

Be so grateful for any help....

Thank you

Paddie
    You can speak to the water company, due to my son’s issues we get a reduced rate on our water I can’t think what it’s called but it seriously makes a difference, call them and ask what assistance is available through them. Xxx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.