Are they allowed to refuse extra legroom seats? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are they allowed to refuse extra legroom seats?

rikpaz
rikpaz Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I've just been informed by an airline that I can't book extra legroom seats if I'm disabled because they're near the emergency exits and I'm not able to help the airline crew if needed in an emergency. I have MS (walk with a crutch) and have had 3 DVTs in my worst affected leg. Are they allowed to refuse me these seats by law?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rikpaz

Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I hope one of our members will be able to help you with this???

If not then I will help you further!!!!!!

Please please come back to me if you need further help/advice!!!!!!
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rikpaz welcome to the community! Sorry to hear this, which airline are you referring to?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • rikpaz
    Jet2. After further investigation I've found this is a Civil Aviation law. I've been in touch with Jet2 assistance department and they've been very helpful so i can't knock the airline it's a rule they have to comply with. Some planes have extra legroom seats that are not next to emergency exits and some don't. It depends on the model of the plane they use for your flight.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rikpaz, and a warm welcome to the community!

I was about to respond and encourage you to contact the airline, which I can see that you've now done. I'm glad you have some answers, even if it was an issue this time around. I'm sure there won't be many people aware of this before they travel, so thank you for sharing!
  • rikpaz
    Thanks Pippa. Yes it's something to be aware of. In the event I spoke to someone at Jet2 and due to my condition they've given me the most suitable (not extra legroom) seats at no cost. It's normally £10 per seat each way to reserve a standard seat so £40 saved there. They'll give me assistance to get through the airport and onto the plane and fast track me through passport and security control. If I needed to arrange my own transfer from airport to apartment due to difficulties boarding a coach they'll refund the price of the coach transfers. Some companies will pay for a private mode of transport that is accessible to you. The bottom line is you need to check what the operator is prepared to do to help you as you may be struggling when you don't need to.

Brightness