Having a stressful time being reassessed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Having a stressful time being reassessed

bluez2829
bluez2829 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone.

my wife is helping me with typing all this but let me set the scene.

so four years ago I found out I had a brain tumour, surgery to remove it which at best would clear it and leave me deaf in one ear (vestibular schwannoma) went wrong and I had a bleed on the brain. I needed a year off work and I rushed back. (Still part time four years later due to fatigue and headaches). So I applied for pip and got assessed. They gave me zero points.

on mandatory reconsideration I got zero aswell. On appeal I got 18 for two years. Backdated. So after the two year period I got reassessed and got standard living and mobility for five years. One year into it my eye has improved and I no longer need a lense which was scoring me two points, so I was honest and told them. I needed to start all over again. 

I have not had the letter yet yet but I have been sent a copy of my report and I have got six points on daily living. Zero points on engaging people face to face which I got four points on on my original appeal. And zero on my second time. I want to make this clear, I am not after enhanced rate, I am not greedy. I just want help as I can no longer work full time due to my fatigue and headaches from having my head open in three places from craniotomies. I am still under the same psychologist from four years ago. I have had to have weekly/ monthly sessions and I still have reviews with him and use his techniques to calm me down. I also have to take extra breaks at work if I get wound up (head injury). I also take extra breaks and leave work early if I have a headache (I am under extra protection from occy health with this).

The report says I made eye contact and wasent agigtated etc, but it was first thing in the morning. I’m normally fatigued, headached later in the day. This is why I work part time. Also my agitation with a short fuse can be anytime and I even have a headway brain injury card. 

Does anybody thing i should score score points under this activity?

thanks

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bluez2829, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and sorry to hear that you've had such trouble with your assessments over the years. It must have caused some real frustration for you.

We have many knowledgeable members who've been through the process themselves who I'm sure will be in touch to offer their advice soon. In case you haven't seen it already, you may also find this resource outlining the descriptors helpful.
  • bluez2829
    So I have got home and my letter has come. They have given me six points and stopped the daily living.

to edit my earlier post what I meant about not being greedy was I dident get anything on my second assessment about engaging with people face to face like I did on my first assessment appeal. I was just happy with six points and not going through the courts again.

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Only you know whether your conditions fulfill the criteria in each descriptor. It is not about being greedy, it is about getting the award that you deserve
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • bluez2829
    Well my condition fluctuates. I can be fine, then if I get stressed I can snap and my card has helped me explain my condition when people think I am being overly aggressive. Or if I’m not that bad I can use techniques from my psychologist to calm down. Or walk away and take a brake from work. Or with my fatigue and headaches and noisy environments as I only have one ear I need my wife for being in busy environments. Or I don’t want to go out due to pain/leave where I am.

• markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    You made the mistake of reporting a change expecting to lose the points in connection with the change but they re assess your whole award
    You should always take advice before reporting a change of circumstances.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.