PIP refusal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP refusal

lynnoseman
lynnoseman Community member Posts: 27 Connected
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
my son was given bad advice and told he had to apply for PIP even though he was in receipt of DLA we did this and went for the assessment 7 weeks ago, he has Paranoid Schizophrenia. He has been refused PIP !! reading what the decision maker has put you would think that there is nothing wrong with him. I am distraught. it has taken months to sort this out and now we are back to square one, I have asked for a copy of the report, i am interested to see what the so called assessor has written to make then come to their decision. It seems that if you "smile" or make eye contact (he has a 60%hearing loss and lip reads" then you are fine. I am so upset because of the stress we are going through. How can somebody be diagnosed with this mental illness by one of the UK's top psychiatrists [name removed by moderator] and be assessed by someone who knows nothing about mental health in an hour which will ruin their life?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, as you may well know your son was claiming DLA because of is illness/ disability, when he reached 16 he has to move over to PIP which is based on your sons abilities to cope, manage activities in his daily life. So what ever a persons illness,diagnosis or disability the PIP descriptors to enable you when you fill the application form in and the acessor to acess your answers and abilities at the acessment to write the report be sent to the decision maker. So if a nurse, doctor, paramedic did your sons acessment the result would be the same, but from your award letter you have 28 day to put in for an MR. Phone your request and follow it up with a written request, good luck and keep us updated.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Let's be honest, did you fill out the PIP2 form in the correct way and did you get a copy of the PIP1 form that would have been filled in by the DWP during the initial phone call?

It matters not what anybody has been diagnosed with as long as the DWP accept that he has the condition.

The PIP2 form is to be filled out explaining what his difficulties are and how they impact on his life. Additionally you should give a couple of examples of what happened because of the impact.
    You should also have asked the DWP to use his DLA papers and evidence.

Some claimants with serious life threatening conditions get no points because they have not filled out the PIP2 properly and have not sent in evidence to support the claim as to what the impact is on him.
    Others who suffer from say arthritis and depression manage to get the enhanced rates for both Care & Mobility because they filled out the form properly, evidence of the impact was sent and told the DWP that the old DLA file should be used as well.

Your only recourse now is to ask for the DWP to look at the claim again. If that fails then it will be an appeal the Tribunal which could well take another 12 months.

• lynnoseman
    Yes I did fill it in properly I asked if they would use his medical records , they said if they had them. Now I am on the warpath . It seems a physical disability is easier to
    orove . Unless you drag yourself into the assessment looking unkempt and having a psychotic episode they don’t believe you. I will now hater all the evidence of how his illness affects him from his records because they obviously know nothing about it. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Was there any reason why you didn't send evidence with the form? I know it's frustrating but being on the warpath won't get an award. When writing the letter of request for the MR you need to state which descriptors apply, why they apply and 2-3 examples of what happened the last time he did that activity.

It's not about knowing about a condition because we're all affected differently and you can't compare 2 people. What might affect one, may not affect another person.

You have 28 days to request the MR. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lynnoseman
    Yes I know about the timescale I didn’t have evidence because he changes doctors so much forgets to go to appointments and I’m in the process of becoming an appointee but in the meantime they won’t speak to me. They have all his rvedence from his DLA claim surely . I’m just so frustrated with it all . He has a support worker who is so overwhelmed he doesn’t foweiw things up. For instance he went with William to the doctor to ask that he be referred to the mental health team again. That was 5 months ago it’s not been done? 
  • lynnoseman
    Do you know if I can request the medical evidence they hold for him at the DWP ?? 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Who told your son that he had to apply for PIP ?
    Everyone on DLA will eventually have to apply for PIP
    Unlike DLA, PIP is awarded on how your condition affects you, a diagnosis does not entitle you to PIP. It is important to understand the descriptors, points and criteria for an award.
    An assessor does not need particular qualifications as an assessment is based on functionality, a trained monkey could do it. 
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • lynnoseman
    His support worker told him he would have to
    put in a new claim . When I rang them they said they hadn’t asked him to do it yet it would have just carried on 
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Never volunteer to apply for the dreaded PIP wait until you are invited to
  • lynnoseman
     Yes he was told to do it by his support worker we wouldn’t be here now if he hadn’t 
  • Fireantguy22
    Fireantguy22 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    I got my letter yesterday 0 points on everything a joke wrote my appeal today
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    A Support Worker would very often have no idea about the DLA to PIP process or anything else about claiming any benefits. I would certainly not have taken their advice but it's too late for that now.

Only about 17% of MR decisions change, so you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal. If you can get help going forward then i'd definitely advise this and contact your local welfare rights or law centre.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lynnoseman
    I got my letter yesterday 0 points on everything a joke wrote my appeal today
    It’s appalling 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you know if I can request the medical evidence they hold for him at the DWP ?? 
    The medical evidence etc that is held on his old DLA claim file should have been used by the PIP office provided that you told the DWP to do that?

Yes your son can request a copy of both his DLA & PIP file.
  • lynnoseman
    Thank you I will do that 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.