When would any DLA transition to PIP benefit stop being paid while waiting on a decision? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When would any DLA transition to PIP benefit stop being paid while waiting on a decision?

samantha21
samantha21 Community member Posts: 64 Courageous
HI, to everyone today. I have a question to ask and perhaps someone may know the answer which would be a help. When a claimant has the F2F assessment and then waits for a decision if the decision comes back and it has not been what they are hoping for if the claimant challenges the decision will benefit still be paid until the decision is reviewed by DWP? Also if a claimant decides to go to tribunal is all benefit suspended until the tribunal hearing?

Thank-you I hope someone knows the answers to these questions.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

DLA will stop 4 weeks after the PIP decision is made, payments will not continue while waiting for MR or Tribunal because there's no award for the payments to continue. DLA would have ended.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    The above answer applies if the PIP has been refused. If there is an award then the DLA continues for 4 weeks. PIP will start 4 weeks after that but payments for PIP continue while waiting for MR decision, same for Tribunal if the MR decision remains the same.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • samantha21
    Hi Poppy,  Thank-you for the reply that is helpful to know at least one can start planning what to do. I have still not had F2F but know it will be soon, once that is over roughly how long before the DWP make a decision on the outcome? Sorry for all the questions I just imagine all my worst case scenarios and find it hard to stay positive, I have multi muscular skeletal conditions but my worst condition this year has been low mood anxiety depression and after six months of CBT therapy which I am still having it has only been in the last two weeks I feel I have made a bit of progress but all this PIP and waiting does stress me a lot although my therapist tells me do not worry. Do not want to put all this on you but thank-you anyway.
  • Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Depends on many factors.  2-12 weeks?  However, once you have had your assessment you can phone up for the assessment report, which will give you an early indication of what your award will be.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    HI, to everyone today. I have a question to ask and perhaps someone may know the answer which would be a help. When a claimant has the F2F assessment and then waits for a decision if the decision comes back and it has not been what they are hoping for if the claimant challenges the decision will benefit still be paid until the decision is reviewed by DWP? Also if a claimant decides to go to tribunal is all benefit suspended until the tribunal hearing?

Thank-you I hope someone knows the answers to these questions.
    Poppy's comments are correct.

I would add that NI is different. 'Over the water' the system is different. They continue with the DLA payments (more or less) right up until when the Tribunal hears the appeal.
    That is done to make sure people get the money they need until a final decision has been made. Over here the money stops following the DWP's decision  and will only start up again if you win at a Tribunal. 
  • samantha21
    Samantha 21 here so hi once again.  I am just commenting on mikehughescq 

comment. I understand what you are saying about the award for DLA expiring I did not forget about that as my DLA was awarded for life as my condition was not ever going to improve it would only deteriorate how quickly or slowly was not the question it was just known the condition would not improve.  I accepted that after all you learn to live with it or else you make yourself ill and miserable constantly thinking how life was and how it is living with a disability, not everyone can look at things  that way but I did. That is why I have to  be transitioned to PIP as DLA

is going. Will this new benefit still entitle me to anything? I do not know but fingers crossed once I get assessed I may get some sort of award.
  • poppy123456
    No one on an internet forum can tell you if you'll be entitled to PIP, that will totally depend on how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors.
  • samantha21
    Hi Poppy, thanks for your reply, my line in my post saying Will this new benefit entitle me to anything, was not literally asking anybody on the internet forum if I will qualify for PIP it was more a figure  of speech. I actually use this forum to basically see what other people are having problems with. Time alone will tell if I have any success and of course the DWP. thanks.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.