Can you get the ESA esa disability premium if your living at home with parents — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can you get the ESA esa disability premium if your living at home with parents

Options
inquire50
inquire50 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi

Im asking on behalf of someone, there not sure. Can you get any esa disability premium if your living with parents?   From what I can gather he has to help pay toward to running of the house, so what the difference if he is out of pocket in both situations. 

It's the Disability premium or Enhanced disability premium that is being wondered about. IE NOT 
Severe disability premium.  Also you can't get Disability premium if your on Income related ESA, which he is not on. so how do you get the main Disability premium?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

The Enhanced disability premium is automatically paid when claiming Income Related ESA in the Support Group, it doesn't matter who you live with.

You need to find out which group he's in. If he's in the WRAG then to be awarded the Enhanced disability premium on top of the ESA then he needs to be claiming either High rate care DLA or Enhanced daily living PIP.

It's extremely difficult to give advice without all the information.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • inquire50
    Options
    HI 

I believe the person is on contribution based ESA,  Support group. He was past over from Incapacity benefit.     You can;t get £33 disability premium if your on Income based ESA.   How do you get £33 disability premium ie from this page: https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums-income-support/what-youll-get

He does match up to the eligible, but if he is living with parents would that rule against him? 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • inquire50
    Options
    Im asking about the disability premium, he is entitled and getting ESA, but disability premium is mystery. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Those that transferred from IB benefit to ESA will be contacted by DWP and some point in the future. They are in the process of contacting all those that transferred across. You do not need to contact them, they will contact him. They will send him forms to fill in an return, once this is done they will assess him for the Income related top up.

The disability premium of £33 is not payable on ESA.

The Enhanced disability premium of £16.40 per week, is payable.

The Severe disability premium is the one where you must live alone or be classed as living alone and claim a disability benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tanay
    tanay Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Options
    What if your child was a minor at the time of receiving ESA income based? 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @tanay. If your child is a minor and you are receiving income based ESA, and there are no other adults living with you (unless they also receive PIP/DLA/AA) you should be entitled to SDP.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.