Benefits advice when moving in with partner? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits advice when moving in with partner?

Suej1969
Suej1969 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi there :)
Could somebody advise me please. 
I'm moving in with my partner, she is on enhanced ESA, in the support group and has enhanced PIP. I am working 25 (more with constant overtime ) & I get standard Pip and UC top up. My wages before stoppages is £219 per week. I've been advised to pack in work and for my work partner to add me to her ESA claim. Although I work I am her carer (hence why I'm moving in).
Could anyone advise me please as we are both very worried we will end up on UC and we will have to be reassessed all over again. 
Also if we do claim Esa together how long will it take as Christmas is coming up and we want to start afresh in the new year. 
Thank you in advance. 
Sue x

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Sue

It is likely that as a couple you will be on UC and not ESA.  You need to make sure that you have full knowledge of your income amount if on UC as a couple.  I have put a link to a benefit calculator below:

https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

A re-assessment of benefit that is a calculation of benefit income entitlement would occur if you claimed UC or ESA as a couple.  

If you are a carer, the UC claim should place you in the no work requirement group, and so any work search requirements will end. Timing when you move in may also be worth considering, as if you move in, at the start of the monthly assessment of UC then you will have to wait till the end of the assessment month till payments reflect that you are now living in the household.  The dates of your partners monthly assessment period should be found on the UC journal.

Changing benefits can be problematic especially now we have UC.  If in any doubt it may be worth going to a local advice centre r CAB for full advice and assistance with any changes to benefit entitlement. 

Best wishes

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

• Suej1969
    Suej1969 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi 
    Thank you Maria. 
    We have decided for me to quit work and be My partners full time carer, so we will stay on esa and do a joint claim. 
    Thank you 
    Sue 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.