Pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip

allyt2210
allyt2210 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi everyone looking for some advice,my wife has recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia,type2 diabetes and sleep apnea.we have applied for pip and are still waiting to hear back from them! In the mean time was looking to hear back from anyone that’s waitin on pip or been rejected or accepted any advice would be so helpful.its all just a stressful time at the moment.thanks a lot and kind regards.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, as you know PIP is a benefit to help with your daily needs and mobility, it is not about your illnesses or disability. When you filled in the application form the questions you where aske related to how you managed day to day activities. The answers you supplied in the form will have to be justified at your F2F acessment and the acessor will question you about your abilities in relation to each question. Good luck and keep the community updated.
  • allyt2210
    allyt2210 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Yeh totally understand and agree with you just hopping the f2f goes well.hear lots of different stories etc and just looking for some advice.thanks for you feedback?
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    allyt2210 said:
    Hi everyone looking for some advice,my wife has recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia,type2 diabetes and sleep apnea.we have applied for pip and are still waiting to hear back from them! In the mean time was looking to hear back from anyone that’s waitin on pip or been rejected or accepted any advice would be so helpful.its all just a stressful time at the moment.thanks a lot and kind regards.
    I don't profess to know much about fibromyalgia or sleep apnoea and how the impact gives rise to fulfilling the PIP descriptors but I do know quite a lot about Diabetes. I have Type 1, insulin dependent - 15 years, which has caused many issues with my legs etc. It is poorly controlled because of how it started (chronic pancreatitis - the destruction of the pancreas from within)  Recently the GP told me that type 1 is the 'mother of all diseases'. 

What I can say that following three face to face assessments over the past 5 years the impact of that disease alone should fit some of the PIP descriptors. However all three assessors as well as the DWP have dismissed what I claimed stating that it is a common issue and is easily controllable with insulin injections. In their opinion the impact I claimed for was not serious enough to warrant a PIP award.

I would suggest that you get expert evidence which identifies how your type 2 not only has a massive impact on your life but also how it fits enough descriptors to warrant enough points to get an award.  
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @allyt2210, and welcome! You may also be interested in the PIP information on Scope's website.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.