Confused about UC for disabled son — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confused about UC for disabled son

JB10
JB10 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited November 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi All,
my son is 20 in 3 weeks. Currently receive CHB, WTC, CTC for him and he gets Enhanced care and mobility on PIP. 
CHB, WTC and CTC will stop around his birthday .
he has CP and also deaf with no speech.
we have been told will need to claim UC but also that he will not qualify as he is at college ( non advanced.. more life skills type course) .
Have also been advised to claim new style esa credits only ( which he won’t qualify for but will get a WCA ) then apply for UC but ask for it not to be paid pending the WCA . 
Surely he cannot be entitled to nothing  . Unsure what to do next . 
Can he get a WCA under UC whilst at college . ?
Thanks

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JB10, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us. Hopefully some of our experienced members will be in touch soon and able to advise!
  • JB10
    Thanks. It’s all very confusing !
  • Eadiesmummy1
    Eadiesmummy1 Community member Posts: 90 Courageous
    hello and welcome to the board. you would be better off using an online benefits calculator, just google and input everything into the form and it will give you a better insight to what he can get xx 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    A student can't claim UC unless they have a LCW and claim PIP. Claiming PIP doesn't automatically give a student LCW. Using a benefits calculator in this situation wouldn't work.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JB10
    One of the other students on his course is in exactly same situation with same disabilities . She is a a few weeks older and has had been notified that she has been awarded £251 per month . My son has appt next week at jobcentre for his claim ( they told me I don’t need to take him as I am his appointee ... that didn’t sound right so he’s coming with me)

• poppy123456
    UC and students is a minefield. Good luck and i hope you get some answers.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi @JB10

Most college students can't get ESA / UC -  but there is an exception for  students who have a disability benefit, and also for students under 21 on a non-advanced course . With UC, there is no assumption that a student has a limited capability for work until the work capability assessment is done - so, I think that it is possible that your son won't get paid his UC until this assessment is done. At that point, he should be paid arrears from the start of the claim.

Gill_Scope
  • JB10
    Hi we went today for his appt . Was out in 30 mins! She said he would usually need another appt with a work coach but spoke to one when we were there who has added to his claim that he is not required for any looking for work commitments . 
    Advised 1st payment date in 4 weeks ( can apply for advance if required) 
    need to wait for the LCW form . 
    She told me if he has LCWRA this would be backdated to start of claim .
  • poppy123456
    Glad you have it sorted.
    Regarding the LCWRA, you were advised incorrectly, i'm afraid. There's a waiting period, which means It's not paid for the first 3 months after sending in the sick/fit notes. If awarded LCWRA then this is paid on month 4 of the claim. Backdated of course, if the decision takes longer than 3 months.
    See link and scroll down to "waiting period"

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Yes, sadly so. Your son will get arrears of thee personal allowance from the start of the clam, but the LCWRA money only kicks in from month four. 

I'm glad that this situation sounds much better than it did before though.

Gill_Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.