Could not get up — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Could not get up

cracker
cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
I was going down a steep set of stair to get to my cellar. I couldn't get back up, had to crawl. THen I had to scoot on my backside, pushing with my fee, until I reached a table I could ;pull myself up with my hands until my chest was lying flat on it, then pushed with hands and feet and finally stood up.

My legs must  be terribly weak. This is very frightening. Has anyone dealt with this - any suggestions> I do have a Lifeline, so I could have called the Emergency Squad.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    It is terrifying! This happened to me last year. I really wanted to have a shower (which is upstairs) and I had to crawl up the stairs. It made me very breathless and I really struggled to breathe so much so I nearly passed out.

I tried holding on to the rails in the bath to pull myself up but I just couldn't. I had no strength in my legs whatsoever. 

Do you have some sort of panic button? When you press the button it contacts your emergency contacts like friends or neighbours.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • cracker
    @Ami2301, I am sorry to hear your story. YEs, I have what we call a Lifeline, which is a pendant hanging around your neck with a button in the middle. Pressing it brings an immediate phone call or a call through the pendant itself.

It is operated via satellite, so you are covered wherever you go, even miles or states away (It is nation-wide). 

I had it on but was too bent on getting myself up that I didn't even think of it.

How did you get yourself up after coming down the stairs

Best to you .
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad you have one, I might be getting one too. When I came back downstairs (shifting by my bum) i had the stair rail to grab onto and my mum. Wheelchair was Infont of me so I held onto my mum to turn myself round to sit in the wheelchair.

At the time I was undiagnosed but I was trying to get up and down stairs with uncontrollable Ataxia and untreated Transverse Myelitis.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Im sorry to hear this @cracker that must have been scary, how are you feeling now?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • cracker
    Thanks, @Sam_Scope, I am all right but feeling  very weak - an unexplained and dramatic weight loss, which is why I think I had such little leg strength.
  • cracker
    I couldn't get u[ again today. I was outside starting up the steps (which are very steep) and stepped up with no railing. I had to sit down and crawl up the stairs until I found something to grab with my hands.
    If this continues, I cannot live at home any more.

I must eat and eat and hope for the best.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear that, @cracker. I hope the rest of the day is as comfortable as possible for you.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Recently I've started to lose my balance and fall over usually on a hill. It's happened twice where I've bent down to pick up something or fix something and I roll backwards it's so embarrassing. I don't know if it's anything to do with my back pack which is only small but has stopped me hurting my back lol. It's like a tortoise on its back effect. I can laugh now but wow how silly did I feel! Lol. I've had some physio for sciatica and I have fibro and other issues but I do find balance to be an issue for me as I feel a weakness there. The physio showed me some exercises using a stretch band which helped but I lost interest after the sessions ended..
  • cracker
    @debbiedo49

I've fallen in exactly that way - when I bend over to pick something up or reach for something.  I used to carry a backpack, too, and once when I was in a grocery bending down to pick out a package of spinach from the lowest shelf, the backpack pulled me back onto the floor.

I share you problems with balance, have to be all so careful to watch myself. Here, there are many patches of black ice. I don't dare walk without either having something or someone to hang onto.

I'm glad you found some humour (the turtle).. My nickname is "Turtle". I love turtles. 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you think it’s the back pack lol?

Brightness