Having to reapply for PIP and possibly losing my car — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Having to reapply for PIP and possibly losing my car

tina7910
tina7910 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
HELP!! I've had the worse few months ever when I've had to reapply for pip, I have no decision yet but my report came today and it looks like they are going to take my car. The ass4sor has stated quite a few things that went correct and cut my assesment short when my husband had to pick me up , what do I do next, without my car I am housenound

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @tina7910 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.  Sorry to hear this.

You need to appeal the decision.  We have lots of information about appealing a DWP benefits decision on our website.

Which will I hope be useful.

I am sorry if you are to lose your car. I understand this as I had lost mine.  To reassure you.

Please can I advise first .  You will be notified by the Motability scheme which states a number of options in a letter. They will send you.

You will need to read this carefully because they also offer financial options. What happens if you appeal and other information . Including a booklet referring to transport solutions.

You can contact the Motability scheme providers . Their customer services team on 0300 456 4566.

I would also have a look at their website. Have a useful page on Staying mobile after the Motability scheme which is very informative.

Please can I reassure you further this is not easy to deal with having no car and I do understand.   I had a lot of anxiety and fear my self.

I want to add I made the choice to accept the financial incentive. Having been in the scheme for twenty years .

You I will promise you find a way. I use taxis most of the time and trust me. I will admit the costs are a bit expensive, then again got extra money from the PIP. Which I did not have. Instead going all to the car.

I found a taxi firm that does deal with clients who are disabled. On line which is another aspect I found useful to pass on to you.

Have saved in terms of costs as well.. Petrol and parking fees.

Understand shopping and all that but remember that you can do a lot on line. Shopping, prescriptions.

Just a thought.  Hope that eases your mind.

Please ask if you wish to know anything.  Please do ask.

I am one of the team of community champions on the site. My role is guide and support, inform new members.

Pleasure to meet you.

Wish you the best whatever you decide to do.

Take care

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome

If you disagree with the decision you have 28 days from the date of the decision letter to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration. After that you can appeal to the tribunal
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tina7910, and welcome!

I'm so sorry to hear you're dealing with this. If you do decide to appeal, you may find Scope's guidance on appealing DWP decisions to be a good starting point. Have a read, and do come back to us with any questions.
  • tina7910
    I can't believe it, she asked if I drove a car and I told he rarely as the pain is to bad to drive, she has put in report that I drive once a week, this is ridiculous , she has not put anything in report about my raynauds or prolapse discs which is also poinient , she has written in her report that I am unable to bend down or move my arms above my head but then states I can bath myself , my husband has been bathing me and washing my hair for the past 15 years? It's ridiculous. There are so many inconsistencies in the box she ticked with what she actually wrote
  • tina7910
    So sorry, I am so worried that I forgot to thank everyone
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Your conditions ie. raynauds and prolapsed discs are not directly relevant to your PIP claim. When you put in for an MR you need to concentrated on the affects these have on your daily activities in line with the descriptors. It will do no good trying to argue the assessors opinion,
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    tina7910 said:
    HELP!! I've had the worse few months ever when I've had to reapply for pip, I have no decision yet but my report came today and it looks like they are going to take my car. The ass4sor has stated quite a few things that went correct and cut my assesment short when my husband had to pick me up , what do I do next, without my car I am housenound
    I don't understand. Why would you be housebound without a mobility car?
    There are buses and taxis that you can use instead.
    I have always had Motability cars but this year after the latest one was repossessed I gave up claiming PIP - it was becoming too much for me. Instead I use the bus, taxis and have neighbours, friends and family that will run us around.

I thought that I would miss it but surprisingly I don't. I certainly don't miss driving on the roads with the amount of traffic about and the useless/dangerous drivers trying to kill themselves and everyone else around.

With PIP it was a question of do I put myself through the stress and strain of an appeal hoping to get another Motability car or have peace of mind and find other ways to get about.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @tina7910 One final point is that I have to tell you that if you are not happy with the report

You can either complain to ATOS. Also to your MP.

There are interested in what is happening to our community.   From some members of community a lot of positive replies back from there MP's.

I hope you do appeal and every one has given you good advice and offered much to think about.

Plus it is the understandable shock of being reliant on a lifeline. Remember many of our community live alone. Such as myself so having the loss is a greater shock.

To reassure you further.

One other thing is too look on line. Seems a lot of services we all use. Like Doctors and other medical support. Do and offer volunteer drivers. This was something I did look into.  Something else to consider.

Do I need this hassle. Also am 54 only on this scheme till 64 . Could have another two or more assessments.

I am in agreement with @Yadnad here .

I hope that helps and gives you words of comfort.

Please take care

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • abrami
    abrami Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    spiceman is it not the case that if you get pip before 64 you can continue after indefinitely as long as you qualified  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    abrami said:
    spiceman is it not the case that if you get pip before 64 you can continue after indefinitely as long as you qualified  
    Yes, that's correct.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • abrami
    abrami Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Thank goodness lol.
  • tina7910
    edited November 2018
    Thank you all for your replies and reassurance, I can not believe that one person who knows nothing about you can give you points to assess your life, what has the world come to when you can do nothing to defend your rights , why do we all have to be treated so badly, I don't know how I can continue doing this for, she put me for a 9 months assesment for something o have tried to live with for years

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.