Splitting up is impacting my benefits and finances — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Splitting up is impacting my benefits and finances

mickeyblueeyes
mickeyblueeyes Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi everybody.
Just splitting up from my husband everything's got to much stress. He was my carer and getting carers money for looking after me, I've been told i can't stop him claiming this That he had to cancel it for me even though now he won't be caring for me and has moved out and moved on with someone else!  and to be honest the loss of the £65 a week for the household bills is some thing I can't afford to loose. Can I claim this in my own right once and if I manage to get him stopped from claiming it?  I could hopefully find someone to help me with the things I can't do and pay for it out of my own money then. If I stop it will it effect my p.i.p highest mobility and middle rate care and esa
which is contribution based. So confused with this, can't afford to loose the money the stress at the moment is horrendous I just don't know what to do. Any advice please much appreciated. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You can't claim carers allowance for yourself. As your partner is still claiming the carers allowance for looking after you and they are no longer doing this then you should ring carers allowance and report the change. I'm unsure what will happen but they'll most likely try to contact him, providing he's changed his address.

Is the ESA your claim or was it your partners claims before they moved out and were you claiming ESA as a couple?

Do live alone?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mickeyblueeyes, and a warm welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear about what you're doing through at the moment. It can feel overwhelming, but you're among others who understand here and who will do their best to help. Do let us know some more about your situation, and they will do their best to advise.

It may also be worth checking the online benefits calculator to see if there's anything else you may be entitled to!
  • mickeyblueeyes
    In at a loss, confused, desperately worried and don't understand why this is happening 
  • mickeyblueeyes
    No the benefits are mine not joint claims, he used to work years ago but not recently.  I live on my own now struggling both financially, mentally and physically.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You really need to get a benefits check from CAB or similar. As your husband is no longer caring for you he is not entitled to claim the carers allowance which is a change in circumstance that must be reported.
    Do you have an IR top up on your ESA ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • poppy123456
    I agree to the benefits check from your local CAB. Also, you can't do anything until your husband has stopped claiming the carers allowance for looking after you.

Once he stops claiming it, if you live alone then you'll be able to claim the severe disability premium on top of your ESA, providing you claim the income related top up on the ESA. The SDP is £64.30 per week extra and every week he continues to claim the carers allowance you're losing the SDP. This can't be claimed until carers allowance stops.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • mickeyblueeyes
    Thank you for the replies what is the income related top up? SDP ? What is it, does it effect my pip or esa? never heard of these I'm even more confused now....he says he isn't going to stop claiming carers and they told me I can't cancel him even when I explained the circumstances as it's his claim. 
  • poppy123456
    SDP is extra money you could claim on top of your ESA, if you live alone and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you but you can't claim this because he's still claiming carers allowance for looking after you.

I would certainly ring carers allowance and report that he's no longer looking after you and that he's claiming this benefit when he shouldn't be claiming it.... it's called benefit fraud if he doesn't report the changes.

Were you claiming ESA as couple? If so have you contacted DWP to report the changes.

There's only so much advice you can get on an internet forum so you really do need to get some face to face advice and even more so if your husband is continuing to claim carers allowance when he's mot looking after you.
  • mickeyblueeyes
    Thank you, no only me claiming esa so that doesn't need changing. I think Monday I will ring again and have to insist they cancel it if they still refuse i will get some advice from C.A.B and or out it in writing to them. Thank you again. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Is your husband aware that to continue claiming carers which he is not entitled to is benefit fraud ?

www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • poppy123456
    I'd still advise a visit to CAB for advice even if he does cancel the carers allowance claim because a full benefit check is needed.
  • mickeyblueeyes
    Thank you all, I'm feeling much more confident now with more information it's really appreciated! Going to definitely ring up and make an appointment next week if I can get there or arrange a home visit. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.