Disability benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability benefits

Options
rosebaywillowherb
rosebaywillowherb Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi,
I have chronic depression and am in work related activity group.I recently had letter saying benefits would stop and could apply for income related esa. On receiving this I got extremely anxious and a stroke followed 3 weeks later. Has anyone claimed pip for a stroke and how was the process.
Thanks.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    To claim PIP you must have had a condition for three months with the likelyhood that it will continue for at least nine months. A diagnosis alone will not qualify for a PIP award. You must be able to show that your condition limits your Daily activities or mobility in line with the PIP descriptors
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You don't claim PIP because you have had a stroke.

You have to relate the impact, in line with the PIP descriptors, on how your life is affected because of the stroke. Whatever that impact is you will have to produce evidence that supports your argument - not a diagnosis but evidence showing and explaining what the impact is. 
    Additionally you can only claim PIP if you can evidence that the impact you are describing has existed for at least 3 months and is likely to continue for the next 9 months.
  • rosebaywillowherb
    rosebaywillowherb Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    @Yadnad,
    Thanks yadnad big help. I will relate answers to what problems I am having now and not the past. Makes  sense. Had confirmation of Mri saying it was a lacunar infarct.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.