Payments stopped — Scope | Disability forum

Payments stopped

My payment has recently been stopped by esa allowance because I never attended a assessment how ever I did explained to them why I couldn't attend but they stopped my payment I'm going through a tough time at the moment both my parents passed away and I suffer with depression and anxiety and getting the money stopped has had more of an effect on my health I'm just slowly comming to terms with my parents nit being here but made the matter worse because I get no income at all now car t pay my rent electric ect how do I live without nothing I don't have any otheir family to rely on and would be great full if I could have any help Ness essay please thank you for listening to me 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,616 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss!

    As you've been found fit for work for failing to attend then you'll need to request a Mandatory Reconsideration on the failing to attend decision. You need to put your request in writing stating the reasons why you failed to attend the assessment. If the MR decision changes and they accept your reasons they your ESA will start again and you'll be sent another appointment for a face to face assessment.

    If the MR decision doesn't change then you'll need to request the Tribunal for the same reasons as the MR...failing to attend. If you get this far you won't be paid any ESA until the Tribunal hearing and a decision is made. The reason you won't be paid is because you failed to attend the assessment.

    I would advise you to get further advise and help from either your local welfare rights, law centre or CAB.

    For your housing benefit then you'll need to contact your local council to fill out a nil income form and your rent will still be paid while you wait for a decision on the ESA.

    It can be a very long process if the MR decision doesn't change. Good luck.
  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,452 Disability Gamechanger
    Best wishes to you and sorry for your loss, there’s no rthyme or reason to some decisions from the DWP proof of your parents call to eternal rest would have been enough. Do as poppy as said to do and inform your electric supplier.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.