New esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New esa

Anthony1987
Anthony1987 Community member Posts: 93 Listener
Hi i was told by someone at the jobcenter today when i toke my sick note in that'd i will be assessed on a medical assessment  soon as it's  my 4th one he also said about the new esa which he said they will tell me about that'd soon was just wounding how esa works as never been on it  he also said they said should be putting me in a group support for  dyslexia 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Anthony1987, I'm sure some of our experienced members will be in touch soon to advise. In the meantime, there's some more information on ESA and how it works on the Scope website.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,332 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As you're claiming UC then it's not ESA. The new ESA is for those that have paid enough National Insurance contributions in the previous 2 tax years before their claim. Looking back at your previous posts i see it's UC you're claiming not ESA.

It's very similar, as you're sending in the fit notes from your GP. UC is paid monthly but ESA is paid fortnightly. WRAG equivalent of UC is LCW, Support Group equivalent is LCWRA.

Have you received a UC50 form? You'll need to fill this in and return it will all your evidence before they will assess you. Once you've done this they'll most likely send you an appointment for a face to face assessment. Once this is done, a report is written and returned to DWP then a decision maker looks at the recommendations in the report and makes a decision on your claim. It can be LCW, LCWRA or fit for work.

Being given either LCW or LCWRA will totally depend on how your conditions affect your ability to do any type of work. A diagnosis of dyslexia won't get you LCWRA, it's how it affects you that will determine the decision. You work coach doesn't make the decision.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Anthony1987
    Not yet but when i called the uc and went intoday both said about the medical assessment i have worked in the pass they is only one job i can do as try doing other jobs and tasks but couodnt doing them with having dyslexia i have failed in every group tasks etc  so it is pretty hard for me to tasks in workplace  
  • Anthony1987
    And I'm  also seeingin psychologist every week and physio one a month for my leg and neck  so I've got loads of back up evidence on the medical side plus still on going with  my colon been collapsed once I've  seen the Gastroenetrologist will know more then 
  • poppy123456
    You need to ask your work coach to refer you for the assessment, once this is done they will send you the UC50 form. You can't be assessed without filling this in.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Anthony1987
    Okay thanks  I'm  there tomorrow so will asked then i did ask them about esa ages go they completely blanked it
  • poppy123456
    You can't claim ESA because you're claiming UC. You're getting confused between the ESA and UC.
  • Anthony1987
    Oh it's just that'd when u call uc it says about the new Style of esa that's wear i was getting info about it just assumed it went on to that'd  i have been asking on my account about other support etc all they done is set up appointments for the sick notes nothing about that'd  uc50 or anything eles god job this site is around woulndt of know about the uc50 or that'd  about the ren't i even even had to phone income support up cos got paid when i shouondt so the lad has put a block on the payments   he said they should of been told about the switch over 
  • poppy123456
    New Style ESA is for those that have paid enough National insurance contributions in the previous 2 tax years from working. You need to ignore that because you're claiming UC with the sick notes.

You need to start to gather evidence to support your claim for LCW because once you receive that UC50 form you'll need to send evidence when returning the form. he evidence needs to state how your conditions affect you.
  • Anthony1987
    Yeah he's put my report first thing on his list to get picked up next week for the dyslexia part and i still got copes of the hospital letters it's just physio i need to ger in touch with 
  • poppy123456
    Yeah he's put my report first thing on his list to get picked up next week for the dyslexia part and i still got copes of the hospital letters it's just physio i need to ger in touch with 
    Not sure what you mean by this. You would send the evidence with the UC50 form when you return it.
  • Anthony1987
    I asked about the uc50 they said I've got to wait and once its filled in don't have to send sick notes in and she said they put me in a low work thing not to work but wen seening about budgeting they said there have sent it over to citizen advice and got to wait for a letter or a call so werid  
  • poppy123456
    This is not correct. Once you receive the UC50 and return it, with your evidence. You'll most likely have to attend a face to face assessment.

You'll still have to send the fit notes in until a decision is made on your work capability assessment. Once a decision is made, if it's LCW or LCWRA then you won't have to send anymore fit notes. If it's fit for work then you ask for the MR then Tribunal, if that fails.
  • Anthony1987
    Tbh they both looked like they didn't have a clue about any of it tbh it i went in twice this week to sort it out as well all she said to me is u will get a call or a msg on ur account or by post about the budgeting  and signed a letter to say it's okay to send it over  to citizens Advice i thought they would sort the budgeting side then that's when there both said i don't have to look for work but did tell her  that'd no one has said nothing to me about it or my medical she didn't no about the uc50 till i showed them what u put so both of my appointments this week been awaste of a time 
  • janisanpoppy
    janisanpoppy Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi, I shud never have been placed on uc, I was handing in suck notes and I waited for 18mnths to get suck back paid I was awarded it abs they kept it all towards an over payment. 
    I wud sooner be paided fortnightly 
    Can I close my uc account and put in for ESA. 
    Also  I rwally need to claim the highest rate of pip, as I can not even climb my stairs and I'm seriously struggling for breath. Ive got no quality of life at all I can't even go shopping as I can't breathe. Really need some advise. Thank you so much. I was a little confused where to ask how to ask on this I hope I've done it correctly. Thsnks
  • poppy123456
    @janisanpoppy you won't be able to move from UC to ESA because once you claim UC you can't go back onto ESA.

For the PIP, are you claiming this at the moment? Do you claim DLA?
  • C_Herath2009
    C_Herath2009 Community member Posts: 26 Listener
    The ESA has form has not only stuck me back in a Traumatised depressed State(The Evidence Mental Health-that caused Physical health its like reliving my child hood and the worst times in my life it did not mention that i had a stroke or the reaction to Medication thats not significant?Alergy to Amoxyciline is apparently more significant when all it did was give me hives rather than put me in a COMA give me a STROKE ?It had set me right back to square one.)Until i file 13 it Lost the form ??..I am beyond Festive ..I am not usually very festive but this has caused me to not only be very depressed restarted the PTSD and made me furious about the whole stupid situation .People outside off the SITUATION that we apear to be STUCK in ..Have 0 understanding that it is like taking a test blindfolded and being expected to fill in the answers..when you can't write or reallt do
    anything that is significant for yourself or your SON..

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.