Why do people back off when you say you have mental health problems. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why do people back off when you say you have mental health problems.

caraben25
caraben25 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have been told to grow up,when I ‘be said I have mental health issues.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @caraben25
    Im sorry you have faced that, though there is still a taboo around mental health with some people, there does seem to be a lot more understanding these days.  There is always more to be done but I hope you enjoy it here on the community, we are a friendly group and we have lots of members who have mental health challenges. 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Eadiesmummy1
    Eadiesmummy1 Community member Posts: 90 Courageous
    @caraben25 i say, twos up to the arrogant misunderstanding people who fail to understand the complexity of how the human mind works and god forbid if they ever contract any form of mental health themselves, because i very much doubt that they would take their own advice and "grow up" sorry this is one of the things that really annoys me. @Spibes, chance for you to make a new friend here with some common ground x 
  • vysvader
    vysvader Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    edited November 2018
    I'd never said : ) but I guess that it's a form of triggered words ("your word" + "common/known paired word"), complexes, Dunning–Kruger effect, and/or just a simple failure in thinking of the logic forms (a temporary deficit such as in the state of being smashed or a persistently low intellectual capacity. You can take a look at the failure in the logic when you compare a few statements:

First:
    A cat is an animal
    A dog is an animal
    Therefore, a cat is a dog

Compare with:
    A mental delay is a mental health issue
    That your disorder is a mental health issue
    Therefore, that your disorder is a mental delay

Second:
    A cat is an animal
    A dog is an animal
    A cat  is associable with the sound: "meow"
    Therefore, a dog  is associable with the sound: "meow" 

Compare with:
    A mental delay is a mental health issue
    That your disorder is a mental health issue
    A mental delay is associable with the growth delay
    Therefore, that your disorder is associable with the growth delay

Don't you like secrets? It's not just a mental delay... You also scarry and lay under the beds of small kids when they try to sleep. You should think to not say or say and, in the same manner, wait till your manager will speak that you're a psychopath and dangerous for your colleges in any higher function or at all on the same workplace, exactly from the same reason as with the mental delay : ))) Meantime, If you've got 3 bosses considering your mental state, if I round full integers, there's almost the probability 1:1 that one of them is a psychopath while 16% of managers are psychopathic and also 21% of CEOs. Just, they don't know about themselves, who's the real one : ))) On the other hand, a movie-like psychopath doesn't exist, the term even isn't in the usage, just in movies, but movies feed the imaginary. They "know you" from movies in all points of their views.

Best regards
    You can feel free to get in touch 
  • AnkyieSpon
    AnkyieSpon Community member Posts: 138 Pioneering
    I think people get scared when it comes to things they don't understand  
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • XenasMum
    XenasMum Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    I totally agree @AnkyieSpon there are only certain people I will talk to about this. Even if they don't say anything they sort of look at you different. 
  • AnkyieSpon
    @XenasMum do you not also find some people are the opposite and suddenly become experts? Which is so annoying because they know all the cures. 
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • vysvader
    edited November 2018
    I think people get scared when it comes to things they don't understand  
    That's why all the burned witches, slavery dilemma, xenophobia, and many other nasty things, however, it makes neither a counter-evidence nor a synergic evidence. I hope that it "doesn't hurt anyone feelings" if the people cruelly projected as stupid as possible, permanently for long years, facing unreasonable attacks and hearing about themselves a "smartest pseudo-science", explain the behavior which is actually irrational and very well-documented by psychology, the real one science, not a pseudo-science.
    do you not also find some people are the opposite and suddenly become experts? Which is so annoying because they know all the cures. 
    Oppositely? Of course, like anyone else who experienced a mental health issue, in the end, that I'm the terrible person making an offensive fun, discriminating, and speaking nonsenses about mental development of people treated by a health issue or cause many proper crime acts on the easy targets, weakened individuals just when they experience the worst times and, preferably, I need to do it minimally in 10+ per 1 and sneaky from behind (because of the confidence), so I'd never went lightly, I do everything only in big. In the same way, your British ancestry was killed by the native Americans (and still none native American apologizes or even admit the crime, terrible). Don't you want from us any improvement in our behavior, be better?

Best regards
  • XenasMum
    XenasMum Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    @AnkyieSpon I think I've been quite lucky tbh and not had that much although I seem to find people who say that they are sick of medication and stop taking it and they're fine. There's no way I could stop meds as I'm too worried about how it would affect me. But I am choosy over who I tell as I find it hard to stand up for myself
  • AnkyieSpon
    @XenasMum you shouldn't have to defend yourself. If people refuse to understand you can only try to educate them otherwise don't worry as your health is priority not if they understand. If it's work that doesn't understand then that is another issue. 
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    BBC said quarter of the population have mental health problems.  (?!?!)

• vysvader
    edited November 2018
    You've made a very rational point, but, unfortunately, the math doesn't show up to work on all. For example, you can often hear people speaking that they are "anyhow superlative" in a comparison to a "mental" and the same kind of people use to say: "all of us are above the average" (I don't mind that it's never based on proofs). That's controversial but still not absurd, however, the absurdity come, I see the same people talking about huge numbers. It's sad to be all the years watching people who don't understand the meaning of the average or that within their great numbers, you can find between them the vast or even all kinds of disorders, and surely also the intellectual deficit which is many times more common than the usually unrelated but targeted mental health issues.

To be honest, 1/4 or 1/1000000, when I see someone **** off mental health issues, in the most common scenario, later, I see the same people smoking a weed or getting something better for their breakfast, all the times with running noses when leaving toilets. Others, they just drink but I'd never seen anyone with a mental health issue who wasn't capable of counting fingers of a hand.

Brightness