Work coach — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work coach

messedhead
messedhead Community member Posts: 15 Listener
Hi guys so I'm on esa (IR) in the support group and just received a letter saying that my wife as to attend an appointment with a work coach at the job center on Friday. Can anyone fill us in on what they will ask will they ask about my illness?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm not sure why your wife has to attend this appointment. I'm assuming you're claiming ESA as a couple? Is it your claim or your wife's?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • messedhead
    I'm claiming for both it my claim
  • poppy123456
    You don't have a work coach when you're in the Support Group and you don't have to attend appointments. Are you 100% it's for ESA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • messedhead
    Yep I'm 100% sure been on it since 2013 and the letter says its regarding esa
  • messedhead
    Tho like I said shes on my clame so not sure if that makes any difference 
  • poppy123456
    Nope, it doesn't make any difference. I've never heard of this happening before. Maybe others will be able to shed some light on it but you don't have a work coach when you're in the Support Group.
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    I dont know if the DWP are able to request you "voluntarily" speak to someone but you are "not" mandated to attend interviews whilst in the support group.

The bit that confuses me is the joint claim thing, on ESA each person is assessed individually for their capability of work, which to me means you and your wife should have both been assessed individually for your capability to work.  So you need to be sure that she is in the support group before deciding if its ok to say no to the interview.

So I suggest contacting the DWP to confirm that she is in the support group (limited capability of work related activity).  If that is the case, then you can politely tell them you wont be attending.
  • poppy123456
    When it's a joint claim for ESA only one person needs the capability for work, i'll be honest and i've never heard of 2 people needing to be assessed before. This wouldn't be possible if the partner was able to work and couldn't be supported with a fit note from a GP.
  • worried33
    So this would mean its joint financially but the claimant assessed is his wife, but my advice is the same, before telling the DWP she wont be attending they need to be sure she is actually in the support group, because saying no whilst in WRAG could result in a sanction.
  • poppy123456
    Income related benefits are claimed as a couple yes.

This is not what i read above. It says his wife has to attend the job centre but it's not his wife's claim, it's his claim. This is what doesn't make any sense to me. If it's not his wife's claim then she shouldn't be attending the job centre even if the OP is in the WRAG. If it's a WRAG claim then it should be the claimant attending the job centre and not the partner.
  • worried33
    Yes thats what confused me as well.
    I read up on it after you told me only one needs to have the WCA, you are correct but its the person making the claim, its just financially they assessed as a couple for the means test.

It would suggest the claim is for his wife and he got confused.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.