Stoma — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stoma

ironlady007
ironlady007 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Is having a stoma classes as a disability.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    No I don’t think so, if you are thinking of applying for PIP because of you having this, the chances of you getting an award are zero. PIP is about your abilities to cope manage doing things in your daily lives., so having a stoma and having to attach a bag is my opinion not a disability but an inconvenience.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ironlady007
    I would have to disagree with @wilko - I have a stoma, I class myself as disabled and I receive PIP.

I would agree that PIP is about how any impairment affects you day to day though, and so it really depends just how much your stoma affects you.

For me it is not an inconvenience, it is a life changing impairment that comes with fatigue, pain, multiple surgeries and daily medication.

You could try the PIP self test to see how you could score.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • wilko
    Hello sam, my youngest daughter has a stoma, was very for weeks, we ended up taking her to her local A&E on a visit where she was admitted into hospital and five days after trying different treatments she had her large bowel removed and a bag fitted, she recovered and returned to work on their game farm doing full days work never claimed benefits was informed she may never conceive but now married and have a lovely daughter. Hence Sam why I wrote my reply I have and do know so many people like yourself and my daughter who life near normal lives.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I am so pleased that your daughter has had such a good experience, that is fab news.  I blog about life with a stoma and I volunteer for national charities around IBD and ostomies and unfortunately lots of people do have lifelong issues.  

Everyone is so different, I don't live a near normal life, I have daily issues and I have now had 7 surgeries in the past 5 years.  There are lots of reasons why people have a stoma too.

I think it's important to recognise that people's experiences will be different and as PIP is about how an impairment effects you rather than the impairment itself its hard to say without the person checking the PIP requirements.

Thanks so much for sharing @wilko and I hope your daughter continues to be happy and healthy! :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • wilko
    Thanks Sam, I sometimes see things from a view point having worked since 17 now early 60s  medically retired diagnosed with MS now living on benefits, people tell me you have paid in all your working claim what you can. So I can now see the claiming process from both sides never claimed before till now, the biggest issues that are looming in the UK,  is the UKs Mental Health problems, issues and pensions the affordability of these and benefits system funding these now and on into the future.

Brightness