Loneliness — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Loneliness

cracker
cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
 I read an article in the New York Times on the 23rd. It was about Loneliness wrecking Americans.
The problem is wide spread, accounts for many suicides and overdoses. So it's not a function of our disabilities necessarily, the loneliness plagues half the population here.

Comments

• Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    I think it can effect anyone I'm very seldom alone but still feel lonely at times. 
  • lynnw
    lynnw Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I am lonely, I live alone, there is nothing much for singles in my area, as I am 66, not good to go out alone
  • topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    edited November 2018
    @cracker ,@firefly123 @lynnw well you have not got to be alone no more i am always here for you not much but hey its better then no one at all , if you need to talk  x
  • Firefly123
    Thanks @Topkitten. Nice to. Meet both @cracker @lynnw. I'm. A carer with my own heath roblems so stuck at home more often than not 
  • topshoes
    @Firefly123 im topshoes but dont worry , so you dont go out much then , who do you look after may i ask , and your not in good health also , can not be easy 
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    lynnw said:
    I am lonely, I live alone, there is nothing much for singles in my area, as I am 66, not good to go out alone
    @lynnw - I am 71 and in a small town with no transportation except taxis. There is nothing to do for older, single women, especially those with a limiting disability.

I am very lonely and would love to move to some place I could have neighbors (I live in a commercial area, surrounded by McDonald's and auto shops, grocery stores and a motel. No neighbors. 

My 4 cats do help.

Sorry you are in the same situation. So many of us older women arre. ANd so many not older people, too.
  • Firefly123
    @topshoes had no glasses on lol  I have 3 young adults 16 20 24 with Autism OCD mental health issues and I have Copd angina and just been diagnosed with fibromyagia been in consent pain for the past 3/4 months so not been easy at all lately luckily I also have a 28 year old who helps out when he's not at work.
    @cracker that must be extremely difficult for you.glad your cats help a bit. 
  • topshoes
    edited November 2018
     Hi everyone ,yes i think there  is thousands of people all over the country who are lonely , and who have  family and dont see them , think it worse in the winter for every one more so people who can not get out .
  • topshoes
    edited November 2018
    thats ok lol  @Firefly123 i can not see when i have got my glasses on , on here lol , keep putting it down to my age , nice age your children , sorry to hear this , @cracker can you not move , i bet your cats keep you company , @lynnw   yes it dont seem that there is any thing around for our age or is it we all just dont know about it .
  • lynnw
    hi all, thanks for the replies, I now have some contact, shame we all live scattered around the country, we could set up our own meet ups, if closer
  • topshoes
    edited November 2018
     Hi @lynnw i hope you are well, you sure have one of us will be on here at some point to talk to each other,  well im in kent going  to downsize from a big house to a very small house, but the packing up and giving things away things to charity shops, before i can even think to look ,i live in a village , i had 2 bad falls and got internal bruising my lower body is swollen up so now my size 10 has gone up alot, lol , the sun is out here not sure what that is about, 
  • Firefly123
    It's rather foogy here wet and miserable.got a meeting later fingers crossed I get my youngest back into school. 
  • topshoes
    edited November 2018
    is it @Firefly123 that makes it more colder to, the sun might be out for you later or tomorrow , i hope all gos well for you and your lad later 
  • Firefly123
    That meeting totally exhusted me but she's going back for a few hours a day it's a start @topshoes

Yes @lynnw that would have been good if all closer. 
  • topshoes
    @Firefly123 wow what great news for you both,  i am so pleased , yes i bet you are it takes a lot out of you with all the worrying , feet up time for you tonight . x 
  • lynnw
    Type your commenthi topshoes, sorry to hear about the falls, I hope all is well, good luck with the move, it is very stressful, I moved into a 1 bedroom bungalow, 12 months ago, still keep rearrangeing things ha ha, take care of yourself
  • Firefly123
    Yes cuppa and feet up now at times its like a hotel as they only come out their rooms for food clean towels or to tell me something then need ? 
  • topshoes
    Thank you lynnw , yes i know what you mean , trying to get it all done best i can at moment, got housing people coming fri to look at house,  to make sure its ok before i put in for move , thats nice yes it getting use to the place and where things look just right ,hope you like where you moved too, thank you i do try lol , and you take care of yourself too . 
  • topshoes
    edited November 2018
    firefly123   o dont make me laugh ,i think they are all the same these days , they watch tv or play on there x box or on the pc , still you get more time with you feet up and relax  which is good .
  • Firefly123
    Yes that's better than them getting into an argument over the moon landing lol 

Brightness