Lcwra — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lcwra

Options
sophieanne
sophieanne Community member Posts: 25 Listener
can you get lcwra and go to college 2 days ?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,988 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Students can only claim Universal credit under certain conditions, see for for details.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sophieanne
    Options
    She is already getting uc and studying 2 days as she gets pip but don’t know if she will get lcwra because of college
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Do they know she's a student?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sophieanne
    Options
    Yes they know I gave forms to her work coach of her college timetable 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Students can only usually claim UC under certain conditions. As i said they'll assess her ability to do any type of work, whether being a student and going to college will go against her, i really have no idea. Impossible to answer that question on an internet forum.
  • sophieanne
    Options
    Because she has a sick note from doctor and is on pip she can go to college 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That's not correct. PIP and a sick note from a GP doesn't give you LCW. Students can only claim UC if they have LCW and both of these doesn't automatically give you LCW. Was she a student when she first started claiming UC? or did she start college after she started her UC claim?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @sophieanne

How old is your sister? What's the college course she's doing?  The rules or the local practice may be different if she's on a "non-advanced" course rather than an undergraduate course at a uni.

Also, do your parents get any child benefit or tax credits in respect of your sister?

As Poppy and Mike have indicated above, UC can be messy and unfair to students, as there's a requirement to prove limited capability for work before you are paid any UC, but there may be local arrangements in place for some college students by now. If not, and if it's a non- advanced course that your sister is doing, you might talk to the local MP to see if  they can use their influence to get something done about this at least locally. 

If not, then a new style ESA claim is the way forward. 

Please post news of how this develops. 

Hoping to hear from you again. 

Gill_Scope
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Options
    (Sorry, you didn' t say this was your sister @sophieanne- but my post applies to the person whose circumstances you describe. 
    Gill_Scope)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.