Activity preparing food — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Activity preparing food

Hi 
Due to my Fibromyalgia I am now only able to heat up food in the microwave. I buy ready meals . Looking at activity 1 preparing food or food that has been prepared for me and frozen can anyone tell me what discriptor I fall into as PIP scored me 0

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    DWP have counted people who are able to make themselves a bowl of cereal as being able to prepare a simple meal!

To score points you need to have to use an adapted peeler and still have difficulty chopping and peeling veg.  Plus you need to use lightweight pots and pans and adapted cutlery to eat.  Just using aids should get you 2 points.  If most of the time you can't finish the chopping and peeling and need someone to help, whether you get the help or not, you should get 4 points.

Take a look at the list of descriptors on Disabilty Rights or CAB sites.  DWP themselves give a list of aids people might use in the PIP info sheet.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118 Listener
    Hi Matilda and thankyou
    oh i made so many bowls of cereal... which yes i guess they are a meal but not very balanced diet but i guess they only think of satisfying hunger not nutrition .I have pain that makes chopping veg painful as i lost some mobilityin my hands/wrists and legs and back when standing..especially my thumbs are so painful. its the exaustion that has the problem worse because of te exaustion though as i dont have the energy and no amount of gagets help with that. But theat is not in the discriptor! and i cant prove how tired i am 

• Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    A bowl of cereal isn't a simple meal from fresh ingredients.  I'm sure that is what the descriptors are supposed to be referring to.  You need to explain why you can't prepare a meal, describing all the different difficulties you have.  You really should be scoring either 2 or 4 points here.  You can't prove how tired you are, but you can describe it in your own words.  Both the effect while you are attempting to prepare food and how it affects you afterwards.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118 Listener
    Tardis thankyou 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    From the assessors guide

Activity 1 – preparing food

Notes

This activity considers a claimant’s ability to prepare and cook a simple meal for one from fresh ingredients. It assesses ability to open packaging, peel and chop, serve food on to a plate and use a microwave oven or cooker hob to cook or heat food. Serving food means transferring food to a plate or bowl, it does not include presentation.

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • donald
    donald Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    would walking with a stick 40ft   qualify for mobility ,
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger

2. Moving around.
    a. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided.  0 points.
    b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided.  4 points.
    c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres.  8 points.
    d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres.  10 points.
    e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided.  12 points.
    f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, –
    (i) stand; or
    (ii) move more than 1 metre.  12 points.

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    40ft is approximately 12 metres.  You need to use metric or the assessor might get confused.
  • donald
    donald Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    thank you ,as i need my mobility high alounce ,  thank you,

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.