ESA stopped after two years — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA stopped after two years

Options
babs1982
babs1982 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi
I’ve been receiving esa benefit for four years and had to go to an assessment every year except two years ago when they awarded it for two years straight. Last week I had another assessment and they have stopped my benefit. I then received a form in the post to re apply for esa. Is this what they do after two years , sign u off and the you have to apply again ? So confused!!! Would appreciate any help .

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @babs1982 welcome to the community! I am not sure however other members will know and will be in contact with you soon. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi babs1982

The most important advice here is that you should consider challenging the decision to stop your benefit by way of mandatory reconsideration (and then appeal if necessary). It's not usually necessary to reapply for ESA following a decision to stop your benefit, but it is sometimes necessary usually when there has been a change of circumstances following the decision to stop benefit (e.g. a new diagnosis or a significant deterioration in your existing condition since the decision was made). If you think this is the case please let us know and we will advise you further.

Assuming there has been no change and you challenge the decision to stop your benefit, the next question is likely to be how do you manage during the mandatory reconsideration process during which time ESA cannot the paid. Most people now live in the universal credit full service area which means it is not usually possible to make new claim to income based JSA. It is possible to claim universal credit during the mandatory reconsideration process but this is not usually advisable because once UC is claimed you cannot then return to ESA. If you can avoid claiming universal credit during the mandatory reconsideration period you will be able to return to ESA when you appeal. If you pay rent and get housing benefit you should ask the local authority to continue making payment throughout the mandatory reconsideration process and the appeals process. It may be that you will need to visit the local authority to make a nil income declaration.

I hope this helps.
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Oops, i forgot to say that in the unlikely event you live outside of the full service area you can still claim income based Jobseeker's Allowance during the mandatory reconsideration process and then switch back to ESA when you appeal. You can check your area here on the universal credit info site.
    The Benefits Training Co:

• babs1982
    babs1982 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.