Unknown Small Fiber Neuropathy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unknown Small Fiber Neuropathy

jeffreyman777
jeffreyman777 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2018 in Cerebral palsy
Hey Folks,

I have been diagnosed with a small fiber neuropathy. I have had lots of tests, MRI scans of the brain and neck, lots of blood tests and everything comes back normal. My GP has prescribed Amitriptyline for the pain but this only works for a few hours.

I am having a burning sensation in my feet that goes up to my knees. I sometimes get an electric shock feel under my feet and a vibrating sensation. I also get twitches in my legs and arms, it is very uncomfortable. I was completely fine and the symptoms started one morning when i woke up.

Does anyone kindly know any other tests that i could recommended to my GP, or anything that may be causing this small fiber neuropathy? Further does anyone please know any alternative medicine to Amitriptyline or anything that can be combined with it to help the pain. Thank you very much for all the advice you can give. Thanks again.  

Best Wishes,

Jeffrey

Comments

• Eadiesmummy1
    Eadiesmummy1 Community member Posts: 90 Courageous
    I dont have the small fibre neuropathy, however i do have neuropathic pain. The medication i take for the neuropathic pain is pregabalin, i have also had carbamazapene. Your GP is the first port of call for this as they are obviously prescription only. Tell them amitriptyline is not working for very long- they may up your dosage or try something else. explain that you have read about neuropathic medications and wonder if any of the above can help. sorry i cant be more of help and i hope you feel better soon.  Laura x 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jeffreyman777, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and so sorry to hear about your pain. Unfortunately since we're not medical professionals, we cannot advise on your medication or recommend further tests. However, you may be interested in our dealing with chronic pain discussions, to share tips and connect with others in similar circumstances. I hope today is as kind as possible to you!
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • jwilliams
    jwilliams Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I have neuropathy in both my legs the tops of my legs are always numb, but in the evening they start first it feels like a thousand bee stings , the burning is unreal then when I move don’t matter how I move , it feels like my skin is being ripped apart it’s excruciating pain it has me in tears, can anyone suggest anything I’m already on morphine and that doesn’t touch it , 
    thanks in advance 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @jwilliams!

I'm so sorry to hear about your pain, that sounds really tough to deal with. You may also be interested in our other dealing with chronic pain discussions, at the very least to connect with others in similar circumstances. I hope today is as kind as possible to you!
  • nikos888
    nikos888 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited January 2019
    Hi Jeffrey,  
    I'm in the same situation like you .SFN just started one night for no reason and  has been a nightmare for 9 months so far .I would like to have a telephone chat with you if this is ok with you. This is my email : (nikolay@connectbulgaria.com )  If you  could send me an email and will reply with my tel. number also.
    Thanks and good luck!
    Nikolay 
  • tomadam0151
    tomadam0151 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    As Eaddiesmummy1 says try pregabalin, just got them off doctor for nerve pain, also use morphine patches (not very good) I will have to see if they work because nothing else has. I don't have neuropathy and by the sound of it don't seem nice, good luck

Brightness