Esa payments stopped what next — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa payments stopped what next

Lee78
Lee78 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I am in receipt of pip as I was formerly on dla I was asked to claim pip which resulted after assessment that my condition worsened and my payments increased significantly. However I have recently had my esa claim refused (after 4years of claiming assessments appeals reconsideration) the last time I had to claim jsa but advised at jc to continue with fitnotes after 13 weeks I was then advised to reclaim esa but after assessment I was refused  and told to claim universal credit I have crippling arthritis and was born with extra thumbs which have been removed which is why I was in receipt of dla  my arthritis worsened over many years working as a tarmacadam. Is it correct that if I claim uc I cannot ever claim esa again if so should I claim universal credit or go through the mandatory reconsideration appeal process again. I received no points in assessment which I find bizarre as my pip claim for same condition which dwp made me claim awarded me almost maximum points. Please any advice will help

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by 4 years of claiming assessment appeals reconsideration. Have you been found fit for work? If so is this the first time you've been found fit for work? or have you been found fit for work previously and re-claimed for either a new condition or a worsening condition?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lee78, and welcome! How are you getting on?
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi Lee78

If you apply for universal credit (UC) then you will no longer be able to receive income-related ESA even if you were later successful in getting it reinstated. If you are receiving housing benefit or tax credits they would also end when you claim UC and you may not receive the same amounts replacing what you get now depending on your circumstances.

If you receive a severe disability and/or an enhanced disability premium as part of your income-related ESA then you would lose these when you apply for UC because there are no equivalents in the new UC system.

My questions are do you receive income-related ESA? Or is it contributory ESA? Do you get housing benefit? Are you single? Do you have any dependent children living with you who you receive child benefit for? What rates of PIP do you receive?

Also, in addition to what Poppy123456 asks, when did your most recent claim to ESA start? You mention the last time your ESA was refused but when was this? Did you request a mandatory reconsideration of the previous decision? If so, what was the outcome?

In the meantime, I would advise requesting a mandatory reconsideration of the ESA decision but would seek a full benefit check to show what the impact of claiming UC would be in terms of how much worse off you might be before making a claim to UC.

I hope that helps

Best wishes

Paul

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.